Welcome to teaching in the Department of Philosophy at Montclair State University!
This page will help orient you as you begin your adjunct experience at MSU.
New hires are required to submit/ complete the following:
- Application and Qualification form
- Two letters of recommendation
- Updated resume/ CV
- Official Transcripts (MA or higher)
- I-9 to be completed in-person at the Human Resources Department (Overlook Corporate Center, 150 Clove Road, 3rd Floor Little Falls, NJ 07424
- Please note that anyone who is neither a U.S. citizen nor a permanent resident (Green Card holder) must first contact Elizabeth Gill in the Global Education Center (email@example.com or 973-655-7301) prior to going to Human Resources.
6. W-4 tax forms (federal and state) will be filled out electronically via Workday (HR Management System). Check your to-do items in your Workday inbox.
7. Direct Deposit form (for more info see Payroll, below).
The University requires all faculty who are paid via Payroll Services to enroll in Direct Deposit. Please bring a blank check to HR when submitting the direct deposit form. Once paperwork is submitted, employees are paid bi-weekly on Fridays. Depending on the pay period, a partial payment may be given to you, followed by a supplementary check the next week to catch you up with the regular payment schedule.
Setting up your NetID and e-mail account are the first steps in gaining access to other net-based systems available to instructors, e.g. Canvas, Banner, etc. In order to obtain an email address account, all paperwork must be given to the department program assistant. If all paperwork is in order, the appointee’s birth date is entered into the system to establish an email account. The appointee can then visit the NetID link and follow the instructions provided to generate a NetID. From there, you will be able to access email via Gmail.
MSU ID Card
Faculty and staff are able to get an ID card processed 24-48 hours after a CWID # has been generated. Visit the ID card office link for more information.
A virtual permit is attached to a vehicle by the vehicle’s license plate number and must be renewed yearly. All parking permits are virtual – there is no decal or hang tag to display. Register your vehicle online when you purchase your permit. For more information regarding parking, please review the parking regulations page.
NEST is the student information portal, standing for Network Engagement and Student Transactions, which professors may access SSB (Self-Service Banner). For the best user experience with NEST, please use one of the following browsers: IE, Firefox or Safari (Chrome and Microsoft Edge are not supported). Log onto NEST here.
SSB (Self-Service Banner) is the student information system housed in the NEST portal. Here you can view class rosters, course schedules, and classroom assignments. Rooms may change up to the start date of classes, so it’s recommended you check back regularly. Final grades will also be entered via SSB. A list of Banner FAQs and a how-to guide for Banner can be found here.
Instructors are expected to adhere to copyright regulations when using department copying facilities.
The official schedule of each academic semester can be found here. Please note that dates are subject to change.
Final Exam Schedule
- The final exam schedule can be found here. Please also note the following:
- All final examinations must be given during the regularly scheduled examination period.
- No final examination may be given during the last week of classes before the examination period.
- If no formal examination is scheduled, the class must meet for one hour during the scheduled final examination time for a class evaluation session. Thus, all classes are required to meet during the final examination period.