The Microscopy and Microanalysis Research Laboratory (MMRL) is a research unit at the College of Science and Mathematics at Montclair State University. The MMRL is University wide resource and facility. Access to the MMRL and its microscopes is open to all potential University users who have a need for the facilities in their research and classes, as well as external public and private sector clients.
The MMRL is located on the first floor of the Mallory Hall, which is across from the Student Center and Richardson Hall. Currently, the MMRL houses transmission electron, scanning electron microscopes, and atomic force microscope. The microscopes available for use include:
- Hitachi H-7500 transmission electron microscope
- Hitachi S-3400N variable pressure scanning electron microscope with x-ray analysis and digital imaging
- Hitachi S-2460N scanning electron microscope with x-ray analysis
In addition, the following items are also available for MMRL users:
- Three Leica 2030 rotary paraffin microtome
- Two LKB ultramicrotomes
- A LKB 7800 glass knife maker
- Leica Reichert Ultratrim
- Denton critical point dryer
- Denton sputter coaters (Desk II and Desk IV)
- Denton Vacuum evaporators (DV-502A)
- Liquid nitrogen dewars (various sizes)
- A Leica stereo dissecting microscope
- A Tissue-TeK VIP Tissue Processor
- A Tissue-TeK II Embedding Center
The Hitachi H-7500 tungsten/LaB6 TEM is an instrument suitable for high magnification examination of biological tissues and soft materials. It is fitted with Bruker thin-window energy dispersive X-ray (EDS) detector which is capable of detecting elements ranging from boron upwards. A slow scan AMT CCD camera with pixel resolution 1024 x1024 is fitted side mount to the column.
The status of the electron microscope is displayed graphically on TEM computer, which allows the user to call out window for setting parameters to suit their needs.
- Resolution: Point-to-point resolution 0.23nm
- Accelerating voltage: 20 kV - 120 kV
- HC mode
- × 700 to × 200,000 (30 steps)
- HR mode
- × 4,000 to × 600,000 (20 steps)
- Low MAG
- × 50 to 1,000 (10 steps)
- Specimen stage: Maximum specimen tilt 20°
- PGT Prism 2000 Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectrometer (C-U)
- Spectral point acquisition
- X-ray line scans
- X-ray Mapping
- AMT side mount Slow Scan CCD (1024 x 1024)
- Wide field-of-view for image interpretation
- Real time background correction
The Hitachi S-3400N is a Variable Pressure SEM (VP-SEM) offering advances in automatic l filament saturation and "no touch" objective aperture alignment. High take off angle ports were built to the analytical chamber for detectors such as EDS. A Quad-type semiconductor BSE detector is mounted at the bottom of the objective porepiece, allowing compositional and high resolution imaging at a high or low vacuum mode.
- Secondary electron image (SEI)
- 3.0 nm resolution in high vacuum mode at 30 kV
- 10 nm resolution in high vacuum mode at 3 kV
- Backscattered electron image (BSI)
- 4.0 nm resolution in low vacuum mode at 30 kV
- Secondary electron image (SEI)
- Electron source: Pre-centered cartridge type tungsten hairpin filament
- Accelerating voltage: 0.3kV to 30 kV
- Unique VP-mode of operation
- The VP-mode allows microscopy can operate analysis at pressure settings ranging from 6 Pa through 270 Pa in the sample chamber. Wet, oily and non-conductive samples in their natural state without charge-up and without the need of conventional sample preparation.
- Bruker –AXS Xflash X-Ray Detector A silicon drift detector (SDD)
- Processing of up to 1,000,000 signals per
- Maintenance-free and vibration free detector and
- No need for liquid nitrogen
- Qualitative and Quantitative elemental analysis
- X-ray line scans
- X-ray Mapping
- Quad-Type semiconductor backscattered electron detector providing information of composition and topography of sample surface. Useable at both high and low vacuum mode.
The Hitachi S-2460N SEM is a conventional SEM plus "Variable Pressure" in low vacuum conditions. The PGT System provides digital imaging, spectral imaging, and full qualitative and quantitative x-ray analysis.
- 4 nm at accelerated voltage 25 kV and WD 5 mm in high vacuum mode
- 6 nm in N-SEM mode
- Magnification: 20 X to 200 kX
- Accelerating voltage: 0.5 ~ 30 kV
- Vacuum mode:
- This SEM provides high vacuum up to 7 × 10-4 Pa (SEM mode) and low vacuum ranging from 1 Pa to 270 Pa (N-SEM mode)
- Robison type BSE detector
- Using scintillator technology to acquire composition and topography information of samples
- PGT EDS detector for X-ray microanalysis and mapping
The AA5000 Scanning Probe Microscope (SPM) is Angstrom's most innovated model. It features a full coverage of SPM techniques-STM, AFM, LFM Conductive AFM, MFM, EFM, Environmental Control SPM and Nano-Processing. The AA5000 is designed to provide images of atomic scale up to 100 micrometer. With a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) TMS320C642 inside the system, the AA5000 can handle complicated multi-functional tasks efficiently. A real-time operating system of SPM/DNA is embedded in the AA5000 SPM system.
- Lateral Force Microscope (LFM), Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM), Conductive AFM, SPM in liquid, Environmental Control SPM, Nano-Processing System including Lithography Mode and Vector Scan Mode
- Multi-function: AFM, LFM, STM, Conductive AFM, MFM and EFM
- Multi-Mode: Contacting Mode, Tapping Mode, Phase Imaging and Lifting Mode
- AFM: 0.26nm lateral, 0.1nm vertical
- STM: 0.13nm lateral, 0.01nm vertical
- Real-time temperature and humidity detecting
- Force Analysis: I-V Curve, I-Z Curve, Force Curve and Amplitude Curve
- Fast automatically tip-engaging
- Simply change of the tip holder to switch between STM and AFM
- Trace-Retrace scan, Back-Forward scan
- Full digital control, auto system status recognition
- Adjustable lightening inside
- Large sample size: up to diameter 45mm, 30mm thick
- With a 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP)
- Online Control Software and offline Image Processing Software for Windows
- Multi-Analysis: Granularity and Roughness
This tool is used to sputter a conductive film gold or old/palladium) on samples for SEM analysis and to provide some limited surface clearing in some models. The mounting of a turbo molecular pump to the system enable to quickly pump the chamber to a high vacuum level. Six main operations are available for the system: vacuum, etch, rotating, sputter, time etch and time sputter.
- pc part: >= 5 mm
- Wafers or SEM stub: 50 mm to 100 mm round
- Chamber: 6" OD x 6" H Cylindrial metal chamber
- Au or Au/Pd target
- Argon gas
- Etch mode for cleaning of samples prior metal deposition
- Manual or automatic timed sputter/etch
- Carbon evaporation
- Typical Applications:
- Coating a thin layer of metal or carbon film to remove SEM charge effects from non-conductive samples
Denton Desk II Sputter Coater is a unit allows reproducible coat a thin layer of metal film to a sample to be viewed in the Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM). Deposits gold or gold-palladium in thickness from 10-50nm.
DV-502A is a high vacuum evaporator for fine carbon (for X-ray microanalysis) or metal evaporation of scanning and transmission electron microscopy samples. using Denton’s economical diffusion pump design, it can rapidly and repeatedly cycle from atmosphere to high vacuum.
Carbon coatings can be evaporated onto grids as a support layer or as an additional stabilizing agent for polymer coated grids. Grids that will be used for imaging isolated macromolecules (such as proteins) can be glow discharged to decrease their hydrophobicity.
The Denton critical point drying apparatus is mounted on a sturdy stand with a weighted base which sets conveniently on the laboratory bench. It is being used to critical point of liquid carbon dioxide (CO2) to dry biological material with a graded series of ethanol. The chamber is 1-1/8” dia. × 2-5/8” high and will hold a large number of grids or a half dozen SEM stubs. A removable stainless steel wire basket 1” dia. × 2-1/2” long is also supplied.
Reichert/Leica 2030 Microtome is designed for most routine histology, biology needs. High precision and stability ensures reproducible section quality in wax and plastic embedded sections. It has a smooth handwheel movement that allows controllable sectioning speed with zero backlash. Vertical roller veering sideway prevents any deviation of specimen cylinder during sectioning. A section counter and the automatic specimen feed is 1 to 60 um. Three Reichert microtomes are available in our EM facilities.
Leica Reichert ultratrim is an EM specimen trimmer built-in high speed milling device. The ultratrim consists of stereo microscope with 20x total magnification, illuminator 20W reflector halogen light, specimen carrier, and trimming tool. Trimming is carried out during observation of the specimen with the microscope, using a special milling tool which is moved past the specimen. The specimen can be centered ± 2 mm and rotated about 90°C click stop mechanism for milling the pyramid faces. The selected detail remains in the center of the field during each operation.
The Leica EM UC7 offers advanced ultramicrotome technology and features a Touch Screen Control Panel. It provides easy preparation of semi- and ultrathin sections as well as perfect, smooth surfaces of biological and industrial samples for TEM, SEM, AFM and LM examination. Three independent, built-in, brightness-controlled LED light sources and the additional LED Spotlights provide outstanding illumination. The innovative touch-sensitive control unit of the Leica EM UC7 enables fast and safe alignment of knife and specimen with help files and prompts to hand for beginners. Programmable knife and cutting movements make trimming easy.
EM tissue processor provides a compact system for automatically processing biological specimens for high resolution light microscope examination.
Tissue-Tek 2 Tissue Embedding Center is a compact, durable equipment. It consists basically of a paraffin storage pot and dispenser, control panel, warming caddy for base molds, working platform with hot and cold spots for orientation, chiller plate, cool storage drawer and a waste drawer for collecting excess paraffin from the working platform. Electrical outlets on the rear of the unit can be used for related or accessory equipment.