Laying Wu, Ph.D., was named Director of the Microscopy and Microanalysis Research Laboratory in Montclair State’s College of Science and Mathematics in Fall, 2011. In this role, Dr. Wu has primary responsibility for the management of this advanced interdisciplinary research facility including ensuring a resourceful learning and discovery environment dedicated to the support of University researchers, faculty, students and external customers.
“Dr. Wu brings remarkable expertise in microscopy analysis across a spectrum of scientific disciplines,” said Robert Prezant, dean of the College of Science and Mathematics (CSAM). “Her commitment to advanced research technologies and approaches, continued scholarship, and leadership skills will significantly contribute to CSAM’s efforts to build research programs of exceptional power, and provide the New Jersey business community with an exceptional resource for their electron microscopy analysis needs."
Dr. Wu holds a Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry from the University of South Carolina (USC). During her doctoral studies at USC, she served as a Research Assistant in USC’s Electron Microscopy Center in the areas of microscopy, specimen preparation, imaging and microanalysis. She received both her M.S. and Bachelor’s degrees from the University of Chemical Technology in Beijing China. Prior to pursuing her doctoral program at USC, Dr. Wu was a research engineer at the General Research Institute for Nonferrous Metals in Beijing. She has published numerous articles in scholarly journals and was the recipient of the 2009 Microscopy Society of America Presidential Award.
- Stefanie Brachfeld, Earth and Environmental Studies
- Shifeng Hou, Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Elena Petroff, Biology and Molecular Biology
- John Siekierka, Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Patrick Truitt, Mathematical Sciences
- Sandra Adams, Biology and Molecular Biology
- Yang Deng, Earth and Environmental Studies
- Stephen Koepp, Biology and Molecular Biology
- Lee Lee, Biology and Molecular Biology
- Carlos Molina, Biology and Molecular Biology
- Sandra Passchier, Earth and Environmental Studies
- Robert Prezant, Dean, College of Science and Mathematics
- Greg Pope, Earth and Environmental Studies
- Dibyendu Sarkar, Earth and Environmental Studies
- Lynn Schneemeyer, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Science and Mathematics
- David Talaga, Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Mary Lou West, Mathematical Sciences (retired)