Montclair, NJ (9/16/11) – The Montclair State Department of Intercollegiate Athletics conducted its 6th Annual Reservoir Charity Training Run on Thursday, September 15 which was a huge success. Over 175 MSU student-athletes took part in the run around the Cedar Grove Reservoir and braved the brief rainstorm that passed through.
The Reservoir Run raised money which was donated to the John Greco Scholarship Fund,Greco’s wife Karen, along with parents Susan and Al, brother Rob and wife Kristen and nephews Luke and John were on hand to start the three-mile race around the reservoir.
Perhaps fitting, the top finisher came from the men’s lacrosse team as Mike Schreck covered the distance in a time of 18:22. Soccer players Maxx Wurzburger and Paul DeMartinis finished second and third, respectively. Field Hockey assistant coach Jennifer Lipnickey was the top female finisher crossing the line in 20:18. Assistant Sports Publicity Director Stephanie Sabaliauskas was second (21:21) with basketball junior Michelle Montagna taking honors as the top female student-athlete competitor. Montagna timed in at 21:23.
The MSU Reservoir Run was first organized in 2006 by head men's and women's swimming and diving coach Brian McLaughlin. Each year the event has grown in popularity and donation contributions. Past recipients of donations include the TALON Holiday Toy Drive, the family of MSU Police Sgt. Chris Vidro, The Walter Reed Army Hospital Chaplains' Fund, Second Chance Boxer Rescue in the name of Renea Trejo and the Montclair State University EOF Book Fund.
Top 10 Male Finishers
1. Mike Schreck (Lacrosse) – 18:22
2. Maxx Wurzburger (Soccer) – 18:32
3. Paul DeMartinis (Soccer) – 18:37
4. Mark DiGennaro (Track and Field) – 18:39
5. Rafael Irua (Track and Field) – 18:42
6. Nick Karl (Track and Field) – 18:55
7. Matt Slattery (Soccer) – 19:00
8. Chris Lee (Swimming & Diving) – 19:20
9. Charles Williams (Track and Field) – 19:30
10. Pablo Zegarra (Soccer) – 19:42
Top 10 Female Finishers
1. Jenifer Lipnickey (Field Hockey Staff) – 20:18
2. Steph Sabaliauskas (Staff/Alumni) – 21:21
3. Michelle Montagna (Basketball) – 21:23
4. Abby Erler (Field Hockey) – 21:30
5. Michelle Armondo Padavano (Track and Field) – 21:35
6. Kelly Abner (Swimming & Diving) – 21:37
7. Emily Burd (Field Hockey) – 21:43
8. Melissa Tobie (Basketball) – 22:20
9. Maria Vira (Swimming & Diving) – 22:25
10. Calli Lowe (Field Hockey) – 22:33