MA in Educational Leadership - Online
Coordinator: Dr. Emile Talarico
With a strong theoretical foundation and a practical structure, the Master of Arts in Educational Leadership provides students with the conceptual tools and professional preparation necessary to become accomplished school leaders. Coursework covers a variety of areas including supervision, leadership, assessment, decision making, student achievement, and school and community relations. Our program has been ranked among the top 50 in the nation by U.S News & World Report in its 2017 Best Online Graduate Education Programs survey.
Students have several options for format, time, duration and place in order to complete the specific requirements for the MA in Educational Leadership. Our comprehensive program ensures that students will find the study option that best fits their career goals and schedules.
Fully Online Format
Building your career one course at a time
Students focus on one course per session allowing for rigorous course immersion. Each course lasts for eight weeks during which students build a strong academic background in the field of educational leadership. Students can earn their degree in 2 years without the stress of taking multiple courses simultaneously.
The online program offers the same accredited curricula as the on-campus equivalent and is taught by accomplished and credentialed faculty. Classes are delivered purely online and blend both theory and practice. An asynchronous, online course schedule provides you with the convenience and flexibility you need to earn your degree and still balance life's priorities.
What to expect as you move toward attaining your degree:
- 3 terms per year (Fall, Spring, and Summer)
- 2 sessions per term
- 1 course per session
- 8 week courses
- Blending of theory and practice
- Interaction between your peers and faculty
- Student support services including online access to library resources, technical support, and professional mentoring.
Graduate students enrolled in the Master of Arts in Educational Leadership seeking to be principals, vice principals, supervisors, directors, or school superintendents will participate in courses:
- To help develop and/or support a personal philosophy of education and social consciousness consistent with related theories of learning and human development.
- To develop characteristics required for effective leadership in education.
- To analyze educational organizations and plan programs and strategies for increasing organizational effectiveness.
- To develop techniques to facilitate interpersonal and group problem-solving and decision-making.
- To develop skills in managing change and conflict in educational endeavors.
- To interpret research findings and design and implement research techniques for their organizational needs.
Fast Track, Flexible and Off-site Options
The fast track option allows students to earn the full master’s degree with both principal and supervisor certifications in 14 months while working full-time. Each cohort runs on a summer-to-summer time schedule. Classes are offered on select weekends and evenings in both online and hybrid formats. The program’s structure enables working professionals the flexibility of an intensive, yet manageable course of study in an accelerated fashion.
Individuals interested in a more traditional pace of study may pursue the master’s degree through the flexible option, where they can select and schedule their courses on the MSU campus each semester from a variety of formats: weekend, online, face-to-face and hybrid. Students choose their courses, schedules and formats in the way that works best for them each semester as they work toward the completion of the master’s degree.
Students who live a distance from our campus and wish to be part of the Montclair experience can take advantage of our off-site opportunities for the master’s degree and/or certifications. These courses are offered in the various regions of the state and bring our faculty expertise and student choice of formats directly to a school district.
For those interested in obtaining more information about the fast track, flexible and off-site options, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.