Bias Education & Response Task Force (BERT) is comprised of, but not limited to the following department representative or designee(s):
- BERT Taskforce Chair: Yolanda Alvarez, Associate Dean of Students
- BERT Education Programs Chair: Dr. Sidney Gardner, Director of the Office of Equity and Diversity
Current Members for the 2017-2018 Academic Year
- Athletics, Stephanie Sabaliauskas
- Campus Ministry, Chaplain, Father Jim Chern
- College of the Arts and Faculty Representative, Dr. Ronald L. Sharps
- Counseling and Psychological Services, Dr. Sudha Wadhwani
- Disability Resource Center, Anyelina Diaz
- Educational Opportunity Office, Viviana Zambrano
- Faculty Representative, Dr. Leslie Wilson
- Office of International Engagement, Domenica Dominguez
- HR/EEO/AA Officer, Junea Williams-Edmund, Esq.
- Information Technology, Open
- Residence Life, Hamal Strayhorn and Omar Mahmoud
- Student Conduct, Director, Jerry Collins
- University Police, Captain Kieran Barrett and Detective Sherwyn Wong
Students who have witnessed or have been a target of a hate or bias motivated act/incident on campus or while participating in a university sponsored activity should report it as promptly as possible. The Dean of Students office has designated protocols and procedures to collaborate with campus partners such as BERT and others when responding to incidents of bias.
- Students are encouraged to report all types of bias-related incidents precipitated by intolerant behaviors:
- In the case of a physical confrontation or injury resulting from a bias-related incident, contact University Police immediately at 973-655-5222.
- For all other bias-related incidents, call the Dean of Students Office and/or the Office of Residential Life at 973-655-4118. The matter may be referred to University Police. Report a Bias Incident.
- The Office of the Dean of Students or designee will immediately:
- Contact University Police and/or the Vice President of the SDCL (or designee), who will assume responsibility for managing the reported incident. The Office of the Dean of Students will collaborate with University Police and the BERT Task Force to assess the situation and determine next steps.