The North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad is competition is for high school students, meant to expose students to linguistics and to increase general awareness of linguistics as an academic discipline. In the competition, students solve analytical problems drawn widely from the world’s languages. The problems require only general reasoning skills. No special knowledge of linguistics or languages is expected.
NACLO is held in the USA and in Canada. High school students in New Jersey can participate at the local competition site at Montclair State University.
The event consists of two rounds:
1) Open Round – January 25, 2024
2) Invitational Round – March 14, 2024
To register, please visit http://www.naclo.org/
The NACLO website also provides all of the competition rules as well as practice problems for students to review.
Open Round: January 25, 2024
The doors will open at 9:30am. You should plan to be present at the contest room by 9:45. You should be seated by 9:55 when the announcements are read. The contest will start at 10:00 AM sharp, and will end 3 hours later at 1:00 PM.
1st floor, room 178
Montclair State University
Visitor parking on campus is available at the Red Hawk Parking Garage.
For information on visitor parking, please visit: https://www.montclair.edu/facilities/our-services/parking-services/visitor-parking/
• Plan to be at the contest room at least 15 mins before the start of the contest (9:45).
• Please bring your own black pen — all solutions must be written in pen. Scratch paper will be provided.
• You are allowed a basic wristwatch (without built-in calculator) for time keeping. However, no electronic device is • allowed; phones will need to be powered off during the competition.
• Bring water and snacks to keep yourself fresh and energized during the contest. Place them on the desk before the contest begins.
• When you arrive, place your bags under your seats. You cannot use your bags during the contest.
Top scorers in the Open Round in January will be eligible to compete in an Invitational Round on March 14, 2024. You should be able to view your Open Round score + Invitational Round qualification status on nacloweb.org around March 1, 2024.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us: