Photo of teacher with young children and blocks in classroom.

Frequently Asked Questions

The following are frequently asked questions about Off-site and Special Programs in the College of Education and Human Services.

Have a question that you don’t see answered below? Email us at

What are the qualifications for admission to an off-site program at Montclair State University?
All candidates must meet application and admission requirements as defined by The Graduate School.
Is the Off-site Degree or Certificate Program accredited? Why is accreditation important?
Montclair State University is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Accreditation ensures programs meet nationally endorsed standards, provides a formal process for ongoing assessment, and strengthens and sustains the quality and integrity of the institution. In addition, Montclair State University’s programs to prepare teachers and other school professionals, including educational leaders, are accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and we have been continuously accredited by NCATE since 1954. For more information, please visit the University’s Accreditations and Memberships page.
What will my diploma read upon completion of the program?
The off-site programs at Montclair State University are taught by the same qualified faculty who teach on campus. Upon completion of the program, students will be awarded the same diploma as the on-campus graduates. Neither the transcript nor the diploma will indicate that the degree or certificate was earned off-site.
Can I take part in the graduation ceremony on campus if I earn my degree off-site?
Yes, you are welcome to visit the Montclair State University campus at any time. Our campus is a leafy, 250-acre oasis in the town of Montclair, New Jersey, just 14 miles from New York City.
How much do the off-site programs cost?
Most of our off-site programs are offered at reduced tuition rate. Please contact the Office of Off-site and Special Programs for details.
Does Montclair State University offer financial aid?
Montclair State University assists eligible students in meeting their educational expenses through loans, grants and scholarships. Graduate students enrolled in a minimum of six credits per semester may be eligible for financial aid. To verify if you qualify for student financial aid programs, including federal financial aid and private student loans, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.
Will I be able to complete all of my required coursework online?
Many of the programs are 100% online and all work can be completed without ever coming to campus. For the MFA low-residency program, please visit the College of the Arts.
I understand all off-site courses are hybrid courses. How will I take the online component of my courses?
As an off-site student, some of your coursework will be conducted in person at the off-site location, and the other part of your coursework will be completed on Canvas. Online courses at Montclair State University are structured using a user-friendly web environment to provide you with all relevant course information, access to learning materials and activities, opportunities to engage and collaborate with peers and your professor, as well as assessments to enable you to demonstrate your understanding and mastery of the course. While each instructor may deliver the course content differently, there will be a common user environment in all of your courses. You will use a variety of online tools geared toward appropriate pedagogy to maximize your interaction and learning outcomes. View the Online Learning Guide.
Are students required to be online at a specific time?
Students are not required to be online at a specific time. This asynchronous schedule provides you with the convenience and flexibility you need to earn your degree and still balance life’s priorities.
Can I take some classes off-site and some on campus?
All off-site programs are delivered in a cohort model and designed to be completed with the same cohort. So you will not be able to take classes on campus.
I have taken some graduate courses. Can I transfer those credits to this program?
No more than six semester hours of credit completed at another accredited college or university or at Montclair State University may be transferred into a graduate degree program. Courses eligible for transfer to Montclair State University must be graduate-level courses with earned grades of “B” or better. Students can work with the program coordinator at the time of admission to determine if the courses are applicable.
How do I purchase textbooks?
You may purchase textbooks online through our Bookstore or as directed by the academic department. Your textbooks will need to be shipped. Please allow adequate time to ensure your textbooks will be delivered prior to class. Some course material may also be available to download.
As an off-site student, how do I register for my classes?
Once accepted into the program, you will be able to register for your course(s) via NEST. Registration instructions for NEST.
How do I apply?
The application is completed through The Graduate School.
Is there an application fee?
Yes, the application fee is $60 for most graduate programs. However, the application fee is waived for candidates who attend information sessions, and for some candidates seeking admission into teacher education programs. To find out if you qualify for an application fee waiver, please contact us at