EECO AmeriCorps members and Bonner AmeriCorps members always serve on Martin Luther King Day, but it had not been held as a campus-wide event at Montclair State University until January 19, 2015. EECO AmeriCorps members Courtney Moore and Robin Paoletti, the co-coordinators of the event, encountered many obstacles, but their diligence and can do attitudes really brought the campus community together with over 235 volunteers participating in the day’s events!
This annual service event invites Montclair State University students, faculty, alumni and local community members to serve the Montclair community and surrounding areas as we continue to honor of civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr.’s lifelong dedication to justice, equality and service for the greater good.
What We’ve Done
Off-campus sites offered diverse causes, including:
- Healthcare access (MedShare)
- Elder care (Waterview Center and Canterbury Village)
- Fire prevention and safety (the Montclair Fire Department)
- Advancement of people with disabilities (Cerebral Palsy of North Jersey)
- Hunger (supermarket can drive)
- Empowerment of people living with HIV and AIDS (Hispanic Multi-Purpose Services Center)
- Transition from homelessness (Covenant House).
On-campus projects included:
- Making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
- Writing cards for U.S. soldiers overseas
- Reorganizing the on-campus Red Hawk Pantry
- Blanket making
Volunteers made over 900 sandwiches for local soup kitchens and wrote personal messages of gratitude and hope for 800 U.S. soldiers overseas.
In the past four years, MLK Day volunteers served over 6,000 hours bettering our campus and the New Jersey area – now that’s a huge impact!
MLK Day of Service 2021
MLK Day will be all virtual this year to maintain safety during the pandemic. We have 11 events, 10 of which can be done during any time on January 18th, 1 of which is a timed event. To view and sign up, please click here. If you have any questions, feel free to email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.MLK Day of Service0days0hours0minutes0seconds
Last Modified: Friday, January 15, 2021 4:40 pm