The Montclair State campus will close at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, December 24 and reopen on Thursday, January 2. The following conditions and exceptions apply.
Residence Halls and Dining Services
- The Village at Little Falls, Hawk Crossing Apartments, Sinatra Hall, The Heights, and Russ Hall (resident rooms only) will be open and staffed during the entire period, but qualified student residents remaining on campus must complete the online survey that was emailed to each student’s MSU email account.
- Except as noted above, all residence halls will close at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, December 20 and reopen at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, January 19.
- The Red Hawk Diner will close at 12:00 a.m. on Thursday, December 19 and be open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Friday, December 20.
- The Diner will operate from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from Saturday, December 21 through Tuesday, December 24.
- The Diner will be closed from Wednesday, December 25 through Wednesday, January 1. It will reopen Thursday, January 2 at 7:00 a.m.
- From Thursday, January 2 through the remainder of the winter break, the Diner will follow a schedule of 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on weekdays and 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on weekends.
- The Diner will resume 24-hour operation from 8:00 a.m. on Sunday, January 19, 2014.
- Sam’s Place and the Freeman Dining Hall will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Friday, December 20 and will reopen on Sunday, January 19, 2014 for dinner at 4:00 p.m.
- Hours of operation for all other food service locations will be posted at each unit and displayed on the Montclair State website – http://www.montclair.edu/dining-services/
Health Center, Recreation Center, Student Center, and the University Bookstore
- The University Health Center's hours of operation beginning December 16 will be as follows:
- December 16 - 20, 23, 24: 8:30 am - 4:30 p.m. each day
- December 25 - January 1: Closed
- January 2-3: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Beginning January 6, normal office hours resume: 8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Friday
- Saturday hours resume January 25: 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- The Student Recreation Center hours of operation beginning Sunday, December 15 will be as follows:
- December 15 - 20, 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- December 21 and 22, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- December 23, 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- December 24, 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- December 25 - January 1: Closed
- January 2-January 20 Weekdays 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and weekends 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- The Student Center and Annex will close on Tuesday, December 24th at 4:30 p.m. and reopen on Thursday, January 2nd at 7:00 a.m.
- The University Bookstore will close at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 24 and reopen at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, January 2. http://www.bkstr.com/Home/10001-10415-1?demoKey=d
- The ID Office will close on Tuesday, December 24 at 4:30 p.m. and reopen on Thursday, January 2 at 8:30 a.m.
- Sprague Library will close at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, December 20 and will be closed Saturday and Sunday, December 21 and 22. The Library will be open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday, December 23 and 24. The Library will be closed Wednesday, December 25 through Sunday, December 29. The Library will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday, December 30. The Library will be closed Tuesday, December 31 through Wednesday, January 1, 2014. The Library will reopen at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, January 2 and will be open Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. until classes begin.
- Access to the Library's electronic resources (e.g., online catalog, e-books, databases, e-journals, streaming audio and video) and services (e.g., interlibrary loan borrowing request forms) is available at all times, even when the Library is closed, via the Library's website (http://montclair.edu/library). Reference and research assistance is available in person and by phone (973-655-4291) when the Library is open (http://montclair.edu/library/hours). Requests for assistance via e-mail at Ask a Librarian (http://www.montclair.edu/library/contact-the-library/ask-a-librarian/) will be answered on the same day if the Library is open or, if a request is made on a day when it is closed, the next day the Library is open.
Computer Laboratories and Information Technology Services
- The Technology Solutions Center, located on the fifth floor of University Hall, will close at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, December 24th and will re-open at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, January 2nd. For technical assistance during this time, a University Help Desk technician will be available via phone (973-655-7971, option 1) and e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. with the exception of December 25th, December 31st, and January 1st. Feel free to visit the self-service documentation page located at: http://www.montclair.edu/oit/documentation.
- For the 2013/2014 Winter Sessions Semester, beginning Friday, December 20th, the University has contracted with Blackboard Collaborate (Elluminate) to provide 24/7 support, including holidays. Faculty members or students who need technical support related to their use of Blackboard Collaborate may obtain assistance by calling 1-866-388-8674 and selecting option #2.
- For Canvas Support, please log into the MSU Canvas site (https://montclair.instructure.com) using your NetID and password and click the "Help" tab for support access information.
- The University Help Desk will be open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from Thursday, January 2nd through Friday, January 17th. The University Help Desk will be closed on Monday, January 20th in observance of the Martin Luther King Holiday, but will resume its normal business hours on Tuesday, January 21st.
- The Public Computing Laboratory Facilities will operate on a modified schedule:
- The Information Commons Computer Lab, located on the fifth floor of University Hall, will close at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, December 24th and will re-open at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, January 2nd. The Information Commons Computer Lab will be open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from Thursday, January 2nd through Friday, January 17th. The Information Commons Computer Lab will be closed on Monday, January 20th in observance of the Martin Luther King Holiday, but will resume its normal business hours on Tuesday, January 21st.
- The Laptop Lending Lab, located in University Hall 5008, will close at 10:00 p.m. on Thursday, December 19th and will reopen at 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday, January 21st.
- The Laptop Lending Lab and Multi-media Resource Center, located on the lower level of Sprague Library, will conform to the Library’s operating schedule (see above).
- The Surf-n-Print Depot, located on the ground floor of the Student Center, will close at 10:00 p.m. on Thursday, December 19th and will reopen on Thursday, January 2nd. A more detailed winter schedule email regarding this lab will be distributed to the campus community.
- The Systems and Security and Networking and Telecommunications groups will perform maintenance on enterprise network hardware and services on Thursday, December 26th, Friday, December 27th, Monday, December 30th and Tuesday, December 31st. These maintenance activities will produce service interruptions and degraded performance for periods of 15 to 45 minutes. With the exception of the planned service interruptions outlined above, any significant problems with the University’s hardware and software systems will be announced on the Technology Solutions Center telephone line (ext. 7971, option 1) and on the IT Service webpage at: http://www.montclair.edu/oit/status/
Shuttle Bus Schedule
- Friday 12/20 6:00 am – 10:00 pm
- Sat. /Sun. 12/21-12/22 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Monday 12/23 6:00 am – 10:00 pm
- Tuesday 12/24 6:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Shuttle Service will stop on Tuesday, December 24, 2013 at 6:00 pm and will resume on Thursday, January 2, 2014 at 6:00 am
Shuttle Service from Thursday, January 2, 2014 through Monday, January 20, 2014 will be provided
General Access to the Campus
To maintain the security of the campus during the winter closing, employees may have access to their offices only in the unusual circumstance that their supervisors require them to perform a specific job duty during that period or, in the case of faculty members, to pursue ongoing research or other faculty responsibilities. The employee or a dean must inform University Police via email@example.com as soon as the need to be on campus is known, specifying the purpose, date(s), and time(s) that access is required. Upon arrival and departure, the employee must sign in and out at the University Police building.
The names of students who are engaged in research that requires their presence during the winter closing must be submitted in advance to University Police via firstname.lastname@example.org by a faculty mentor or dean. The submission must indicate that no safety hazards are posed by the student’s presence in the laboratory and/or office. Upon arrival and departure, the student must sign in and out at the University Police building. Students may also have access to buildings if they are accompanied by a faculty member or administrator who has followed the procedures described above. Anyone not authorized to be in a building during this period will be escorted from the building. All employees and students must have a key and/or access code to gain entry to the specific room requested. University Police will be responsible for opening the exterior door of the building as needed.
Please note that most building temperatures will be lowered from 68° to 65° to conserve energy.
I hope you will get some well-earned rest and relaxation during the winter closing. I especially want to recognize the contributions of the many fine employees in Physical Plant, University Police, Residence Education, Information Technology, and Sprague Library who will be working during the closing to maintain and improve our campus.