Montclair State University’s Center for Writing Excellence (CWE) has moved from its former location in Dickson Hall to a new space on the first floor of Sprague Library. To commemorate the move and to introduce the University community to the new facility, the Center will hold a grand opening celebration on Wednesday, February 17 from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m. at the library and everyone is invited to attend.
Located in the far right corner of the Reference area of Sprague Library, the new space is not only larger and more efficiently organized than the former facility, but is more welcoming as well. The new location also enables the CWE staff to work more effectively with more students than before.
“Many people in the Montclair State community have worked very hard to make this all possible,” says Professor Melinda Knight, director of the CWE. “We especially want to thank the former directors of the Writing Center, the Writing Center Task Force members, the Provost, and the Dean of the Library, who are among the many who helped the new CWE become a reality.”
Although the most visible improvement at the CWE is the new facility itself, many other improvements are continually being made as well. Some of the improvements already in place include:
- CWE Digital - an online resource for teachers and writers
- Consultants who participate in an ongoing professional development program
- Greatly expanded hours, including evenings and weekends
- The first undergraduate consultants, who have completed a new course, ENWR 250: Theory and Practice of Tutoring Writing
- The return of Montclair State graduates as consultants
- Specialists in teacher education and second-language learners
- Online scheduling
- A full-time Program Assistant, who is herself a former consultant
- Greeters who help orient everyone to the Center’s services
The University community is invited to join CWE staff on February 17 at 1:00 p.m. at Sprague Library for conversation and refreshments, and to help celebrate the official dedication of the new Center for Writing Excellence.