Requirements for the Teacher Education Program may vary by certification or degree program. However, for full consideration, all applicants must show evidence of the following:
- Admission to Montclair State University – Undergraduate Admissions
- Completion of 60 semester hours of earned college credit
- Passing standardized test score (ACT, SAT, or Praxis Core)
- Meeting overall GPA of 3.0 for applicants to a single certification program or 3.25 for applicants to the Combined Bachelor’s/Master’s Program with Dual Certification
- Meeting the minimum GPA in the respective major
- Demonstrating evidence of satisfactory written and oral skills
An applicant with an overall major GPA of 2.75 or better may apply for admission and must complete the Supplemental Essay as part of the application process.
Applications are considered complete and ready for review when all of the following materials are submitted by the application deadline.
- Completed application form
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges attended, including Montclair State University
- Copy of official passing test score for ACT, SAT, or Praxis Core
- Letter of recommendation
- Admission essay(s)
The Teacher Education application deadline for fall is September 15 and for spring is February 1. If these dates fall on a Saturday or Sunday, you have until the following Monday to submit your application packet. Applicants to the Combined Bachelor’s/Master’s with Dual Certification can apply in the spring semester only (February 1).
Questions about Teacher Education?
If you are interested in learning how to apply to the Teacher Education Program, please book an appointment with the Teacher Education Admissions staff. Please note that all appointments will be conducted via Zoom.
Jan Johnson, Program Specialist
johnsonjan.youcanbook.me (non-MSU students)
Ian Bouie, Program Advisor
bouiei.youcanbook.me (non-MSU students)
If you are a current Montclair State student, please use the Navigate system in NEST to schedule an appointment.
In accordance with CDC guidance, Governor Murphy’s Executive Order 107, and MSU President Cole’s campus announcement, during the current COVID-19 public health crisis, the Center of Pedagogy staff remain available virtually to assist students during the hours of 8:30-4:30, Monday-Friday. Please email TEadmissions@montclair.edu with any questions and allow up to 24 hours for a response.