(in Partnership with Newark Board of Education and the American Federation of Teachers)
Have you always dreamed of becoming a teacher? Or maybe you’ve thought about teaching, but aren’t sure if it’s right for you?
Through a unique partnership between Newark Public Schools and Montclair State University’s College of Education and Human Services, students enrolled in East Side or University High School can take college-level courses, at no cost, that will apply towards a degree at Montclair State University!
Become a Rising Red Hawk at East Side High School or University High School and we will:
- Introduce you to a career in teaching
- Build your academic skills
- Develop your problem-solving capabilities
- Make sure you have strong relationships with your Montclair State teachers
- Help you earn Montclair State University college credits while at East Side High School and University High School at no cost to you
- Guarantee an offer of admission to Montclair State University’s Teacher Education Program, after graduation and upon meeting all course and admission requirements
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
DATE: January 2022- June 2022
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Center for Academic Success & Tutoring
REPORTS TO (TITLE): Director for Tutoring, Supplemental Instruction and Academic Coaching
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
Under the direction of the Director for Tutoring, Supplemental Instruction and Academic Coaching at Montclair State University, the Red Hawks Rising Success Coach works in an academic coach and content tutoring capacity for high school students enrolled in the Red Hawks Rising Dual Enrollment Program. High school students will take college classes within the Newark school system. Success Coaches will attend courses taught by Montclair State University faculty at an offsite location in the Newark Public Schools. Coaches will host study hours for students immediately following their classes to review content and academic success skills in college coursework.
Red Hawks Rising Success Coaches will represent the Center for Academic Success and Tutoring and Montclair State University within the school system and support the facilitation of student learning.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Weekly Academic Coaching Modules in topics such as:
- Class expectations
- Time Management
- Problem Solving
Course Content Support focused on:
SOCI 100: Introduction to Sociology
HLTH 101: Personal Health Issues
Also includes reinforcement of:
- Citation styles
- College writing
- Class content review
- Assist students in review for exams
- Reteach material when students struggle
- Support students’ work in the completion of assignments
- Provide content area literacy where missing- defining terms, decoding, reading comprehension, critical thinking
- Completes CAST annual Coaching Training Orientation. Attends other webinars, supplemental training and staff meetings as part of the tutor requirements.
- Attends classroom lectures and assists in learning experience as needed.
- Conducts small group support in academic coaching topics
- Assists students with academic understanding and course progression to supplement classroom learning.
- Acts as a coach/mentor for students and offers students advice on appropriate study strategies and effective learning techniques.
- Manage the questions and learning needs of a classroom of high school students during their study hour.
- Maintains satisfactory performance and adheres to CAST policies as well as tutoring ethical principles.
- Attends evaluation/consultation meetings with CAST Coordinator; complies with scheduled observation procedures during tutoring sessions as required.
- Maintains accurate attendance records: records attendance, and submits daily reports summarizing student sessions, registers visits including dates, times, length of sessions, course name and content covered.
- Performs other duties as required.
Red Hawks Rising coaches receive training on effective tutoring techniques, learning strategies, teamwork, multi-cultural awareness and communication, as well as supervision. Upon completion of the tutor training, Red Hawks Rising coaches receive College Reading and Learning Association/National Tutor Association certifications.
- Must be available Monday/Wednesdays 1:45-4:15pm and/or Tuesday/Thursdays 1:45-4:15pm January 18, 2022 to May 26, 2022, with additional paid training days on January 6 & January 7, 2022, additional debriefing dates in May 2022 TBA. [Summer 2022 and Fall 2022 positions available. If interested please inquire.]
- Must have your own transportation to schools
- Group facilitation and leadership skills
- 3.0 GPA minimum
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with English Language Learners
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or experience in SOCI 100 and or HLTH 101 or equivalent course work.
- Interest in education
- Classroom or tutoring experience at the high school level
- Presentation skills
- Classroom management skills
Compensation $20/hour includes planning/preparation time
Interested in applying? Please send a resume and cover letter to:
Tess Grunseich, Director of Tutoring, Supplemental Instruction, & Academic Coaching at firstname.lastname@example.org
Center for Academic Success and Tutoring (CAST)