(in Partnership with Newark Board of Education and the American Federation of Teachers)
Have you always dreamed of becoming a teacher? Or maybe you’ve thought about teaching, but aren’t sure if it’s right for you?
Through a unique partnership between Newark Public Schools and Montclair State University’s College for Education and Engaged Learning, students enrolled in East Side or University High School can take college-level courses, at no cost, that will apply towards a degree at Montclair State University!
Become a Rising Red Hawk at East Side High School or University High School and we will:
- Introduce you to a career in teaching
- Build your academic skills
- Develop your problem-solving capabilities
- Make sure you have strong relationships with your Montclair State teachers
- Help you earn Montclair State University college credits while at East Side High School and University High School at no cost to you
- Guarantee an offer of admission to Montclair State University’s Teacher Education Program, after graduation and upon meeting all course and admission requirements
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
DATE: August 2023- December 2023 and/or January 2024- May 2024
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Center for Academic Success & Tutoring
REPORTS TO (TITLE): Director for Tutoring, Supplemental Instruction and Academic Coaching
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
Under the direction of the Director for Tutoring, Supplemental Instruction and Academic Coaching at Montclair State University, the Red Hawks Rising Success Coach works in an academic coach and content tutoring capacity for high school students enrolled in the Red Hawks Rising Dual Enrollment Program. High school students will take college classes within the Newark school system. Success Coaches will attend courses taught by Montclair State University faculty at the designated high schools in the Newark Public Schools system. Coaches will host coaching hours for students immediately following their classes to review content and build academic success skills in college coursework.
Red Hawks Rising Success Coaches will represent the Center for Academic Success and Tutoring and Montclair State University within the school system and support the facilitation of student learning.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Facilitate Weekly Academic Modules in topics such as:
- Understanding School Systems (Canvas, Email)
- Professional Communication
- Understanding a Syllabus
- Time Management
- Problem Solving
- Presentation Skills
Course Content Support focused on:
FALL: HLTH 101 Personal Health Issues and SOCI 100:Introduction to Sociology
SPRING: PSYC 101: Intro to Psychology and ANTH 100: Cultural Anthropology
FALL: URHS 101 Introduction to Urban Humanities and WRIT 105: College Writing I
SPRING: SASE 210: Public Purposes of Education and WRIT106:College Writing II
Content Focused Activities includes reinforcement of:
- Citation styles
- College writing
- Class content review
- Assist students in review for exams
- Reteaching and reviewing class material
- Support students’ work in the completion of assignments
- Provide content area literacy where missing- defining terms, decoding, reading comprehension, critical thinking
- Completes CAST annual Coaching Training Orientation. Attends supplemental training, staff meetings and check-ins as part of the tutor requirements.
- Attends classroom lectures and assists in learning experience weekdays from 1:00-4:00pm.
- Conducts group support in academic coaching modules and content focused activities listed above.
- Offers additional one on one support when applicable to students who are behind in their work.
- Collaborate with classroom professor regarding classroom and student needs.
- Assists students with academic understanding and course progression to supplement classroom learning.
- Acts as a coach/mentor for students and offers students advice on appropriate study strategies and effective learning techniques.
- Manage the questions and learning needs of a classroom of high school students during their study hour.
- Maintains accurate attendance records: records attendance, and submits daily reports summarizing student sessions, registers visits including dates, times, length of sessions, course name and content covered.
- Performs other duties as required.
Red Hawks Rising coaches receive training on effective tutoring techniques, learning strategies, teamwork, multi-cultural awareness and communication, as well as supervision. Upon completion of the tutor training, Red Hawks Rising coaches receive College Reading and Learning Association/National Tutor Association certifications.
- Must be available 2-5 days a week from 1:00-4:00 pm
- Group facilitation and leadership skills
- 3.0 GPA minimum and at least 60 college credits
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Transportation to Newark
- Experience with English Language Learners
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or experience in the classes listed or equivalent course work.
- Interest in education
- Classroom or tutoring experience at the high school level
- Presentation skills
- Classroom management skills
- Availability Monday- Friday 1:00-4:00 pm for at least 20 hours a week.
Compensation $20/hour includes planning/preparation time
Interested in applying? Please send a resume and cover letter to:
Tess Grunseich, Director of Tutoring, Supplemental Instruction, & Academic Coaching at email@example.com
Center for Academic Success and Tutoring (CAST)