David Benfield Philosophy Essay Prize
Spring 2019 Awards
First place $200.00*
Second place $100.00*
Submission Deadline: TBA, 2019
Essays will be judged by a panel of faculty members in the Department of Philosophy at MSU. Winning essays will be selected on the basis of philosophical content, rigor of argumentation, style and composition.
• Essays on any topic in philosophy may be submitted.
• The author of the essay must be enrolled as a Philosophy Major or Minor at Montclair State University.
• The essay may be a revised course essay or a newly composed essay.
• A student may submit only one essay for consideration per year.
• Essays submitted previously may not be submitted a second time.
• Essays should be formatted properly: standard font, standard margins, double-spaced, etc.
• The length of your submission should be between 2,000 and 3,500 words (approximately 6 - 12 pages).
• Essays must include a proper bibliography.
• Email your essay as an attachment to Tiger Roholt: email@example.com (submit only one of the following file types: “pdf” “doc” “docx” “pages”)
• Essays should be prepared for blind review (The author’s name should not appear anywhere in the essay). The author’s name should appear in the body of the email.
*Funds will be credited to the winner’s account at Montclair State University.