The Graduate School will not begin to review your application until it is complete. All application requirements must be received by The Graduate School before the application can be reviewed.
Application Deadline & Overview:
- Our program does not have a specific deadline. However, we recommend that you submit your application and supporting credentials as early as you can because registration for courses opens months before the beginning of the semester, so late applicants are less likely to secure the courses they need.
- Please note that submission of the application alone is not sufficient to meet the deadline requirement. All subsequent supporting credentials must accompany the application in order for it to be considered complete. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all application materials have been submitted to the Graduate School. The Graduate School will enter all supporting application materials into their computer system within 1 week of their receipt. If the online application states that a document or supporting material has not been received, please check again within 2 to 3 days before contacting the Graduate School.
- Please allow about 4-6 weeks for review of your completed application along with the supporting documents.
- Once a decision has been made, the applicant will receive a letter from The Graduate School informing them of the admission decision. Admission decisions are not released via web or over telephone.
- Please submit application materials and direct any questions you have about admission or our programs to:
The Graduate School, Montclair State University
College Hall 203, 1 Normal Avenue, Montclair, NJ 07043
Phone: (973) 655-5147 or (800) 955-GRAD (4723)
Fax: (973) 655-7869
- Applicants to all programs (master's, doctoral, certification, certificate, and all non degree) must complete the application.
- Applicants begin to gather all application credentials (official transcripts, standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, etc.) Montclair State University graduates are not required to send their MSU transcripts; the Graduate School requests them directly.
- Applicants send these documents and the non-refundable $60 application fee, made payable to Montclair State University (do not send cash), to the Graduate School at the above address.
- Applicants will be notified if and when a personal interview is required.
- Applicants will be notified of their admission decision by mail.
Graduate Program Coordinators
The Graduate Program Coordinator is a critical partner in your graduate school experience. Students are encouraged not only to meet with their Graduate Program Coordinator for course selection but also to discuss overall curriculum planning, research opportunities and career goals.
Admission decisions are based o n an overall review of the required credentials (official transcripts, test scores, recommendations, statement of objectives; and for some programs, portfolio reviews or auditions) Formal written notice from the Graduate School constitutes an offer of admission. Correspondence with a department or an individual faculty member does not constitute admission.
Confidentiality of the Application Process
Federal law requires that the Graduate School maintain the confidentiality of both the information submitted by applicants and the status of their applications. This information can only be shared with the applicant or someone the applicant has designated, in writing, as their proxy. Any applicant whose personal circumstances require that someone else contact the Graduate School in conjunction with their application must send us a signed letter formally designating that person as their proxy. The Graduate School cannot discuss an application with anyone but the applicant without this document.
Students who have not yet completed their undergraduate degree may apply during their last term of undergraduate work. An official copy of their transcript should be sent to the Graduate School at the time the application is submitted. A final, official transcript indicating the awarding of the baccalaureate degree must be submitted before registration for subsequent terms will be permitted. Students will not be allowed to take courses if undergraduate degree is not complete. The Last-Term Senior policy does not apply to International applicants.
Portfolio Reviews and Auditions
Do not enclose artwork samples, photographs, or audition tapes along with your application materials. Students interested in the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree must submit a portfolio of two-dimensional work and/or slides, video, film or CD ROM to the Department of Fine Arts by February 1st. Applicants to the Master of Arts (MA) in Music or Fine Arts will be notified by the Graduate School of their eligibility to audition or submit their portfolio for review.
Students with Special Needs
Services are available for students with special needs. Students should contact the Disability Resource Center for Students with Disabilities Office at (973) 655-5431, for more information.
Although we welcome applications from students interested in "transferring" from a graduate program they are currently attending to one at Montclair State University, we do not have a special application for this. Although they may have completed graduate coursework elsewhere, we have no special admission policies or requirements. They go through the standard application process, using the same forms, providing the same documentation, and meeting the same admission requirements as any other graduate applicant. If admitted and their previous graduate coursework is evaluated as relevant by a Graduate Program Coordinator, they may transfer a maximum of 6 credits to their MSU program.
- Application Requirements & Deadlines
- Admissions Process
- International Students or Non-US Degrees
- Non-Degree & Visiting Students
- Frequently Asked Questions