As winter approaches, it is important to be prepared for the ice, snow and rain! No matter how you commute we’ve got you covered.
- Be sure to check your engine coolant and antifreeze levels to keep your engine from freezing.
- Keep a shovel, ice scraper, an extra pair of gloves and a flashlight in your trunk at all times.
- Inflate your tires to the recommended tire pressure for better car handling in the snow and rain.
- Leave 20 minutes earlier than usual so you’re prepared for any detours or closed roads you may encounter.
- Download the Parker app to help you find where parking is available on campus to shorten your ride.
- Talk with your professors about their expectations regarding class cancellations, or if classes ever would be held remotely (if not already an online course).
- Consider carpooling with a friend.
- Check into bus/train options from your home to campus using Google Maps or the Waze app.
- Make sure you have an up-to-date schedule and know when an earlier bus/train will come.
- Sign up for text or email alerts so you know of major changes to all schedules
- Download the NJ Transit App to find time arrival and departure information this will reduce time spent waiting.
- Wear proper attire by layering up and wearing tights or long johns under your regular clothing
- Download the Uber or Lyft apps on your mobile device for easy accessibility in the case that you need a taxi.
- Invest in wider tires specifically for winter surfaces that can be wet or icy. Wider tires help with traction and control during the winter.
- Your hands, feet and head get colder faster than the rest of your body. Be sure to wear proper gloves, socks and a hat to go under your helmet.
- Be sure to wear neon reflective clothing when riding in the streets and always have reflectors or lights in the front and back of your bike.
- Remember to always check the weather before leaving the house to determine if riding your bike is the best commuting option.
- When riding in winter conditions breaking or turning can cause you to slide. Ride slowly and as straight as possible without sudden braking.
Sign up for RAVE!
- Log in using your NetID & password. Get RAVE Now!
- Sign-up using either your mobile phone number, Montclair State email address, or both!
- You will be notified of all campus closings, delays or other important news immediately via text or email through this service!