There are a number of different ways to get to, and around campus.
NJ TRANSIT is pleased to welcome area college and university students back to campus and encourage their use of mass transit. The “Buy 3 Months, Get 1 Free” promotion allows students to save up to 60% off transportation to campus for class during the fall 2022 semester when compared to purchasing one-way transportation. To learn more about Student Pass and this promotion, please see their website www.njtransit.com/studentpass for full details.
Montclair State is home to two train stations on its campus.
- The Montclair State University Station (north end of campus near the Village)
- Montclair Heights Station (south end of campus near Panzer)
Five bus lines currently operate on campus. Four from NJ Transit and one private carrier.
NJ Transit Discount
The partnership between Montclair State University and NJ TRANSIT that gives students more transportation options and opportunities continues! Montclair State University full-time undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to receive a rail, bus, or light rail monthly pass at 25% off of the regular monthly pass price, when they enroll online through NJ TRANSIT’s Quik-Tik program.
(Note: The discounted NJ Transit Monthly Pass is only available to full-time students during the regular fall and spring semesters.)
See the steps below to purchase your monthly NJTransit pass. All NJTransit passes must be purchased virtually and no physical forms will be accepted at Red Hawk Central for enrollment verification.
Step One: Eligible students (12 credits or more) should visit: njtransit.montclair.edu to start the process. This will bring you to the page below.
Here you should log in with your NetID and password. If you qualify (full time student, with 12 or more credits), it will direct you to the next page (see below). If it doesn’t recognize your NetID, you should contact email@example.com. Reasons it may not work include not being a full time student or an issue with your NetID.
Step Two: If successful, you will see the following message along with this page.
If you have never created an account you should click “Create New Account”. If you are returning, you can Reactivate your Suspended Account. This is the option for anyone returning every semester.
Step Three: When you click “Create New Account”, you will see the following registration page. PLEASE NOTE: this page is fully managed by NJ Transit – so if there are any issues you will have to contact NJ Transit. The instructions are listed on the right hand side of the page. Keep in mind that you need to use your Montclair State e-mail and SPECIFICALLY the one that ends in @mail.montclair.edu. For example, you should use firstname.lastname@example.org not email@example.com. When you are done it will ask you to verify the e-mail address and prompt you to download the app where you can log in with this information.
If you have done it correctly – you will see “Student Discount” on the payment page. If you do not see this you did not complete the steps correctly.
Please Note: Purchase of your Monthly Student Pass is available beginning 5 p.m. on the 19th of the previous month, through the 10th day of the month in which the pass is valid (for example, for a January pass, purchase 5 p.m. December 19 – January 10).
New to Quik-Tik?
Getting started is easy. To initially sign up, you must login through the secure Montclair State University access (https://njtransit.montclair.edu/). Your full-time student status will be verified electronically to NJ TRANSIT. When you sign up the price of the monthly pass you order will automatically reflect the 25 percent student discount. During your enrollment, you will create a “Quik-Tik user name and password,” so you can view or manage your account directly from the NJ TRANSIT Quik-Tik login without entering from our university site. To contact Quik-Tik, call 866-QUIK-TIX.
Existing Quik-Tik Users
If you are an existing Student Quik-Tik customer, all you need to do is reactivate your account.
- Log into to Montclair State’s NJ TRANSIT Student Discount monthly pass page (the page where you initially went to enroll).
- Enter required information (student pin, user ID, etc.), and you will be taken the NJ TRANSIT’s Quik-Tik main page. Enter requested information.
- You are now at the “Account Summary” page. Scroll to the bottom to see your status information.
- Click on “Change Status.”
- Click on “Reactivate previously suspended monthly pass mailing” and click on the submit button.
After your account is reactivated, you will again receive monthly passes each month on an automatic basis until next May. You must enter Quik-Tik from Montclair State University NJ Transit website to reactivate your account. If you have any questions regarding reactivating your account, please contact us at 1-866-Quik-Tik.
Quik-Tik offers the convenience of auto-pay combined with online account management. You will receive your student monthly pass directly through the mail and your credit card automatically billed.
It’s important to remember:
- You must sign up by the 10th of the month to receive your monthly pass for the travel in the next month. (Enrollment must be completed on or before the 10th of the previous month to receive the pass for the next month.)
- Effective with the mailing of September 2009 monthly passes, a non-refundable $3.00 processing fee will be applied each month, in addition to the fare for the pass.
- After you enroll for Quik-Tik, you will receive a new monthly pass in the mail each and every month unless you choose to suspend your account.
- If you choose to suspend your monthly pass (winter or summer break), you will need to reactivate your account once again through our secure Montclair State University Quick Tik website (this will verify enrollment).
- Students who participate in this program agree that the monthly pass is for their exclusive use only. Each student is eligible to receive one discounted monthly pass per month. Passes are non-transferable. Any abuse or purposeful deception will result in the cancellation of the student’s monthly pass account, and (s)he will be unable to participate in the program in the future. This will also apply to any other student who is knowingly involved.
Sign Up for your NJ TRANSIT Quik-Tik today!
Our shuttle fleet helps transport students around campus from different shuttle stops around campus. This is convenient for students who park in Lot 60.
We encourage students, faculty and staff to use bicycles while on campus! Students with a valid University ID have the option of renting a bicycle from Campus Recreation to use for free! There are several bicycle racks located on campus if you choose to rent one or bring your own.
Montclair State has partnered with Hertz to offer car-rental to students, faculty, and staff at a discounted rate.
- Student Program Highlights – Students can rent from age 20, with a discounted underage fee of $19/day. Rent at any Hertz location using the discount code 2226658.
- Employee Program Highlights – Employees traveling on business are entitled to corporate rates that include damage coverage using the discount code – 2190043.
- Free Uber/Lyft rides to the Hertz location in Montclair at 40 Claremont Ave from the MSU campus. You must select the Montclair pick-up location and call ahead of time to arrange the free Uber/Lyft ride.
- Hertz locations may ask for your college ID to confirm that you are a student or employee to honor the discount.
- Sign up to be a Hertz Gold Member and earn points towards free rentals.