There are a number of different ways to get to, and around campus.
Montclair State is home to two train stations on its campus. These two stations are found along the Montclair-Boonton line.
- The Montclair State University Station located at 100 Clove Rd. (north end of campus near the Village)
- Montclair Heights Station located on Normal Avenue, at the intersection with Carlisle Road (south end of campus near Panzer)
The Montclair State bus stop is located in front of the Red Hawk Deck on College Ave.
Four bus lines currently operate on campus. Three from NJ Transit and one private carrier.
For information on getting to NYC, Hoboken, Philadelphia, or into town using public transportation, click HERE.
NJ Transit Discount
The partnership between Montclair State University and NJ TRANSIT that gives students more transportation options and opportunities continues! Montclair State University full-time undergraduate, part-time degree seeking students taking at least two courses, and graduate students are eligible to receive a rail, bus, or light rail monthly pass at 25% off of the regular monthly pass price, when they enroll online through NJ TRANSIT’s Student Pass.
(Note: The discounted NJ Transit Monthly Pass is only available during the regular fall and spring semesters.)
You can view more information on the NJ Transit Student Discount Pass here.
See the steps below to purchase your monthly NJTransit pass. All NJTransit passes must be purchased virtually and no physical forms will be accepted at Red Hawk Central for enrollment verification.
Step One: Eligible students should visit: njtransit.montclair.edu to start the process. This will bring you to the page below.
Here you should log in with your NetID and password. If you qualify (full time student, with 12 or more credits), it will direct you to the next page (see below). If it doesn’t recognize your NetID, you should contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasons it may not work may include an issue with your NetID.
Step Two: If successful, you will see the following message along with this page.
If you have never created an account you should click “Create New Account”. If you are returning, you can Reactivate your Suspended Account. This is the option for anyone returning every semester.
Step Three: When you click “Create New Account”, you will see the following registration page. PLEASE NOTE: this page is fully managed by NJ Transit – so if there are any issues you will have to contact NJ Transit. The instructions are listed on the right hand side of the page. Keep in mind that you need to use your Montclair State e-mail and SPECIFICALLY the one that ends in @mail.montclair.edu. For example, you should use email@example.com not firstname.lastname@example.org. When you are done it will ask you to verify the e-mail address and prompt you to download the app where you can log in with this information.
If you have done it correctly – you will see “Student Discount” on the payment page. If you do not see this you did not complete the steps correctly.
If you are having difficulties with creating an account, make sure you are using a mobile device. Attempt to use mobile data and NOT WIFI to create the account. If you are still having difficulty, attempt to perform a password reset on your account. This will help update your account. If you are still having difficulty, please contact NJ Transit at 973-491-8810 or email@example.com.
Please Note: Purchase of your Monthly Student Pass is available beginning 5 p.m. on the 19th of the previous month, through the 10th day of the month in which the pass is valid (for example, for a January pass, purchase 5 p.m. December 19 – January 10).
New to NJ Transit Student Discount?
Getting started is easy. To initially sign up, you must login through the secure Montclair State University access (https://njtransit.montclair.edu/). Your full-time student status will be verified electronically to NJ TRANSIT. When you sign up the price of the monthly pass you order will automatically reflect the 25 percent student discount. During your enrollment, you will create a “MyTix user name and password,” so you can view or manage your account directly from the NJ TRANSIT Student Pass without entering from our university site. For help, please contact NJ Transit at 973-491-8810 or firstname.lastname@example.org.X.
Existing Student Discount Pass Users
If you are an existing Student Discount Pass (Quik-Tik) customer, all you need to do is reactivate your account.
- Log into to Montclair State’s NJ TRANSIT Student Discount monthly pass page (the page where you initially went to enroll).
- Enter required information (student pin, user ID, email with @mail.montclair.edu, etc.), and you will be taken the NJ TRANSIT’s Student Discount Pass main page. Enter requested information.
- You are now at the “Account Summary” page. Scroll to the bottom to see your status information.
- Click on “Change Status.”
- Click on “Reactivate previously suspended monthly pass mailing” and click on the submit button.
After your account is reactivated, you will again receive monthly passes each month on an automatic basis until next May. You must enter Quik-Tik from Montclair State University NJ Transit website to reactivate your account.
Why MyTix/Student Discount Pass?
MyTix offers the convenience of auto-pay combined with online account management. You will receive your student monthly pass and your credit card will be automatically billed.
It’s important to remember:
- You must sign on or before 10th of the month to receive your monthly pass for the travel in the current month. (for example, for a January pass, purchase 5 p.m. December 19 – January 10)
- If you choose to suspend your monthly pass (winter or summer break), you will need to reactivate your account once again through our secure Montclair State University Quick Tik website (this will verify enrollment).
- Students who participate in this program agree that the monthly pass is for their exclusive use only. Each student is eligible to receive one discounted monthly pass per month. Passes are non-transferable. Any abuse or purposeful deception will result in the cancellation of the student’s monthly pass account, and (s)he will be unable to participate in the program in the future. This will also apply to any other student who is knowingly involved.
Sign Up for your NJ TRANSIT Student Discount Pass today!
Our shuttle fleet helps transport students around campus from different shuttle stops around campus. This is convenient for students who park in Lot 60.
We encourage students, faculty and staff to use bicycles while on campus! Students with a valid University ID have the option of renting a bicycle from Campus Recreation to use for free! There are several bicycle racks located on campus if you choose to rent one or bring your own.
Montclair State has partnered with Hertz to offer car-rental to students, faculty, and staff at a discounted rate.
- Student Program Highlights – Students can rent from age 20, with a discounted underage fee of $19/day. Rent at any Hertz location using the discount code 2226658.
- Employee Program Highlights – Employees traveling on business are entitled to corporate rates that include damage coverage using the discount code – 2190043.
- Free Uber/Lyft rides to the Hertz location in Montclair at 40 Claremont Ave from the MSU campus. You must select the Montclair pick-up location and call ahead of time to arrange the free Uber/Lyft ride.
- Hertz locations may ask for your college ID to confirm that you are a student or employee to honor the discount.
- Sign up to be a Hertz Gold Member and earn points towards free rentals.