Teacher preparation is a university-wide strength at Montclair State University and in the Department of Earth and Environmental Studies. Our alumni are employed as educators in public and private schools across New Jersey. Students who wish to pursue teacher certification in Earth and Environmental Science or Social Studies must apply to and be admitted to Montclair State University’s Teacher Education Program in the College of Education and Human Services. Please visit the Teacher Education Program website and the 2015-2016 Teacher Education Program Handbook for application instructions, undergraduate GPA requirements, required pre-requisite courses, Praxis requirements, and course sequences for bachelors and masters programs.
The Department of Earth and Environmental Studies participates in the following teaching educator programs:
- BS in Earth and Environmental Science with P-12 Teacher Certification in Earth Science (EAED)
- This program leads to the BS in Earth and Environmental Science degree and Initial Teacher Certification in Earth Science.
- BA in Geography with P-12 Teacher Certification in Social Studies (GGED)
- This program leads to the BA in Geography degree and Initial Teacher Certification in Social Studies.
- Master of Arts in Teaching with Certification in Earth Science
- Students with a bachelors degree and interest in teaching may pursue the Post-BA program for certification only OR the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT), which simultaneously leads to certification and a Master of Arts Degree. Candidates for admission to the Master of Arts in Teaching programs must apply to the Graduate School.
- 5-year combined BS/MAT in Earth and Environmental Science with P-12 Teacher Certification in Earth Science and Teacher of Students with Disabilities (EABM)
- This program leads to dual teacher certification in Earth Sciences and Inclusive Education. Students must successfully complete the BS portion of the program in order to be admitted to the Graduate School and complete the one-year masters program in general and special education. Applicants are evaluated on their knowledge within their discipline, commitment to teaching students with and without disabilities, and written and oral communication skills.
- Teacher Certification, Science Grades 5-8 (ESSC)
- This interdisciplinary program seeks to increase the natural science knowledge and pedagogical skills of New Jersey middle school educators, leading to increased confidence and enthusiasm for teaching these subjects. Applicants to the program must possess an elementary school teaching certificate. The program focuses exclusively on natural and physical science content and STEM education pedagogy.
Teacher Education Advisors
|All Earth Science teaching credential programs||Dr. Matthew Gorring||318||973‑655‑5409|
|All Geography/Social Studies Teacher Ed||Dr. Greg Pope||420||973‑655‑7385|