students taking notes on hike

Student Resources and Academic Policies

Academic Advising and Services

  • EAES faculty advisors can answer most questions about your degree program.
  • Academic Advising for CSAM Students regarding general advising needs and questions.
  • University College assists Montclair State University students making transitions from: high school to college, transferring between universities, returning to university after a long absence, balancing military and student obligations, among others. University College has programs available to help students adjust to their new situation and surrounding.
  • The Center for Academic Success & Tutoring (CAST) offers free tutoring services, workshops to help students improve their study skills, and oversees placement testing for incoming students.
  • The Disability Resource Center (DRC) provides assistance to students with physical, sensory, learning, psychological, neurological, and chronic medical disabilities, and works you to help you receive any necessary accommodations.

General Education Requirements

Montclair State University’s General Education Requirements, World Languages and Cultures requirements, and Writing Requirement are designed to give students broad exposure to many disciplines and ways of viewing and interacting with the world around us. These courses repeatedly reinforce critical skills necessary to thrive in the workplace and a global community, and include oral and written communication skills, critical thinking, quantitative analytical skills, and the ability to integrate information from many different sources and perspectives to address complex issues.

The General Education and World Languages and Culture requirements can be confusing, and are different depending on your degree program, the academic year in which you began your studies at Montclair State University, whether you entered Montclair State as a true freshman or transfer student, and if you previously earned an associates degree at another institution. Always check with your EAES faculty advisor whenever you have questions about these requirements.

If you are enrolled in a non-teacher education BA/BS program then view your current GNED course list.

If you are enrolled in a BA/BS program with a teacher education component then view the General Education Requirements in the University Catalog to select the appropriate GNED option based on your degree and certification program.

Academic Misconduct Policy

All undergraduate and graduate students at Montclair State University are governed by the Student Code of Conduct. The Department of Earth and Environmental Studies considers academic misconduct to be a very serious offense. Familiarize yourself with the University’s guidelines on academic integrity.

General Student Resources

The University’s Student Services webpage contains a collection of campus resources such as emergency and health services, campus maps, links to dining and residential services, and much more.