The Department of Teaching and Learning has compiled answers to the most frequently asked questions by prospective students for the online certificate in K-12 Computer Science Teaching. If you are unable to find the answer to your question(s) please contact Montclair State Online at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Will I get teaching certification? No, this is is a certificate only program at the moment; the State of New Jersey has not yet released details of the forthcoming K-12 CS teacher certification. We anticipate this information will be released this summer. Please reach out directly to the Graduate Program Coordinator, Dr. Sumi Hagiwara, for additional details.
- Do I get an actual piece of paper (certificate) upon completion of the program? All certificate programs of study receive a formal certificate of completion, which lists the program. To receive the certificate, you must file a graduation application via NEST for the appropriate graduation date.
- Is this program fully online? Yes, you never have to set foot on campus.
- What is the cost of the program? We offer affordable tuition rates for Online programs. The university posts the tuition for the upcoming school year during the summer, typically in July.
- Does living out of state affect my tuition rate? No, not for the Online Program. In-state and out-of-state students are charged the same tuition.
- How are the courses scheduled? Two cohorts per academic year are scheduled with starts available during Fall and Spring. Courses are typically offered in 8-week sessions.
- If my experience is from another state, can I apply? Yes. We welcome out-of-state students to our program. Generally, each state has requirements for teacher certification. If you are seeking certification in a state other than New Jersey, you should contact your state department of education to determine requirements.
- When is the next start for the program? Interested applicants can apply for Fall 2021. Students accepted into the program also have the option to begin this summer with TLRN 500 – Computational Thinking in K-12 Classrooms which is offered June 28 to August 22, 2021.
- When will I hear back about my application? Our university makes decisions on applications in a timely manner. We are accepting applications on a rolling basis. Applicants usually receive a decision within a few weeks of completing the online application.