Scholarships in the Physics and Astronomy Department are determined by a department committee. Some scholarships are primarily based on merit, and others on a combination of merit and financial need. There is no need to apply for merit-based scholarships: all majors in the department are automatically considered. If you wish to be considered for a scholarship based on financial need or would like additional information about scholarships, please contact the department chairperson, Marc Favata.
Interested in giving back? Consider making a donation to support our students and department programs. (Be sure to designate your gift for Physics and Astronomy.)
- Dean Hamden Scholarship Awards
- Amount: multiple awards, $300 to $400
- Criteria: Recognizes student excellence in the teacher certification program, service to the department, or other areas of academic or research excellence.
- Richard Hodson Physics Award
- Amount: varies, up to $1000
- Criteria: Awarded annually to one or more outstanding physics majors or minors.
- Ben Minor Physics Award
- Amount: $500
- Criteria: Awarded annually to an outstanding or promising non-senior physics student.
- Ken O. Smith Physics Award
- Amount: $300
- Criteria: Awarded annually to highest-performing student in PHYS 191 over the past year, regardless of major.
- Mary Lou West Scholarship
- Amount: $300
- Criteria: For excellence in a beginning physics major.
- Joan L. Dalton Memorial Graduate Fellowship in Astronomy
- Amount: up to $50,000; frequency varies
- Criteria: Provides funding to a graduating physics major to pursue a PhD in any area of astronomy or astrophysics. See the Dalton Astronomy Scholarship (PDF)
- Contact: Marc Favata, Fellowship Administrator
- Noyce STEM-4-STEM Scholarship for preservice teachers
- Amount: About $32,000 (tuition, stipends, costs related to certification, etc.) over two years.
- Deadline: May 2, 2022
Additional scholarship opportunities for those interested in Physics Teaching are available at the Center of Pedagogy’s Grants and Scholarships page.