community garden flourishing
News and Announcements

Community Sustainability Ambassador Featured in CEHS Graduating Students Spotlights

Julie Attys is graduating with her degree in Public Health.

Posted in: Uncategorized

Julie Attys

Public health allows me to achieve my goal of reducing sexual health disparities that affect girls and women of color. My goal in pursuing public health is to provide girls and women a space to feel heard, to understand the inequities that place girls and women at risk for HIV/AIDS and other STIs, and to inform policies that protect girls and women that have experienced sexual assault. An advanced degree will provide me with the necessary skills by training me to engage in research and practice experience to improve health outcomes for minority women and girls around the world. That is why I will be attending Boston University School of Public Health to pursue my master’s degree in Global Health. Montclair State University has given me several opportunities to exercise and broaden my passions. I was able to be a peer advocate for the Office of Health Promotion, a Community Sustainability Ambassador for PSEG Institute for Sustainability Studies, the MSU Department of Public Health Student Ambassador, as well as the recipient for the department’s 2018 Public Health Award. Montclair State University has not only supported me throughout my undergraduate career but has also exposed me to many great people that has impacted me greatly. The professors, students, and mentors that I have met at Montclair State will forever hold a special place in my heart. They not only helped me grow as an individual but have given me the knowledge and tools to serve as the informed professional that I hope to be so that I can not only listen and support others on an individual level basis, but to initiate and implement broad-scale change around social, racial, and sexual issues central to improving public health.