Image of a clinician talking with a parent and two children in a clinical setting.

Bachelor of Arts in Child Advocacy and Policy

There is an increasing demand for trained professionals who understand the complex challenges faced by today’s children and their families, many of whom lack adequate access to education, healthcare, and other basic services. Child advocacy professionals are prepared to help. They draw on an interdisciplinary knowledge base to represent the rights of children and families. A child advocacy professional can hold many different job titles. Our graduates pursue careers in non-profit management, mental health, social work, and other helping professions. Graduates work with state agencies, legal organizations, school systems, non-profit agencies, and other community based organizations.

Through the perspectives of social work, psychology, and law, the Bachelor of Arts in Child Advocacy and Policy offers students:

  • knowledge of child advocacy and child protection, with a particular focus on policy and practice issues relevant to vulnerable children and their families.
  • the requisite knowledge and outlook in child advocacy that prepare students for graduate studies
  • the opportunity to serve at a helping organization to fulfill the internship requirement, which provides students with critical experience in the field.

The major consists of 39 credit hours (12 courses and 1 elective). View Degree Requirements in the Course Catalog

To Add the Major:
Degree-seeking undergraduate students may use the Undergraduate Major/Minor Change online form (the request form found in NEST portal) to request a change to their degree, major, minor and/or concentration. All requests to add a major, minor and/or concentration must be reviewed and certified by your new College/School designee before being made official. If approved, you will receive an email with a confirmation of approval.

Newly admitted first-semester students should contact Undergraduate Admissions to change their degree, major, minor and/or concentration prior to the first semester. Non-degree-seeking students must also contact Undergraduate Admissions if they wish to become degree-seeking students.

Note: Only one transaction is permitted each time you complete this form. If you wish to drop and add, you will need to drop first and then return to the form to add.

Expect 5-10 business days for processing to occur. You will see the new major/minor/concentration reflected in your Degreeworks header and/or in your Registration screen in NEST.

Check here for Directions.

If you have any questions, please contact us via email or phone:    973-655-6971

Ms. Catalano can also schedule an advisement appointment with you to discuss any of our programs.

If you need a permit for a course, please complete the SWCA Permit Request Form. Permit requests will be addressed in the order received.