Image of a clinician talking with a parent and two children in a clinical setting.

Minor in Social Work

The Minor in Social Work will offer students a focused course of study in the field of social work. The primary mission of the social work profession is to enhance human well-being and help meet basic human needs of all people, with particular attention to the needs and empowerment of people who are vulnerable, oppressed, and living in poverty (NASW, 2008). This minor will focus specifically on serving vulnerable children, adolescents and families and meet the following learning objectives:

  • A comprehensive overview of the field of social work, with a particular focus on policy and practice issues relevant to vulnerable children and families.
  • A cadre of courses that will supplement and/or enhance students` related major field of study (e.g., psychology, sociology, child advocacy, family science and human development, justice studies, etc.).
  • A foundation of social work that may lead to employment with social services agencies at the state and local level, such as the Division of Child Protection and Permanency.
  • An area of study that will raise student awareness of policy and practice issues relevant to vulnerable, oppressed and impoverished populations, with a specific emphasis on children and families.
  • The requisite knowledge and outlook in social work to help students as they pursue Master of Social Work (MSW) programs and other relevant graduate program, as well as foundational knowledge for careers in other human service professions.

The minor consists of 6 courses (18 credit hours).  View Minor Requirements in the Course Catalog

To Add the Minor:
Degree-seeking undergraduate students may use the Undergraduate Major/Minor Change online form (the request form found in NEST portal) to request a change to their degree, major, minor and/or concentration. All requests to add a major, minor and/or concentration must be reviewed and certified by your new College/School designee before being made official. If approved, you will receive an email with a confirmation of approval.

Newly admitted first-semester students should contact Undergraduate Admissions to change their degree, major, minor and/or concentration prior to the first semester. Non-degree-seeking students must also contact Undergraduate Admissions if they wish to become degree-seeking students.

Note: Only one transaction is permitted each time you complete this form. If you wish to drop and add, you will need to drop first and then return to the form to add.

Expect 5-10 business days for processing to occur. You will see the new major/minor/concentration reflected in your Degreeworks header and/or in your Registration screen in NEST.

Check here for directions.

If you have any questions, please contact us via email or phone:    973-655-6971

Ms. Catalano can also schedule an advisement appointment with you to discuss any of our programs.

If you need a permit for a course, please complete the SWCA Permit Request Form. Permit requests will be addressed in the order received.