Image of a clinician talking with a parent and two children in a clinical setting.

Minor in Child Advocacy and Policy

The Minor in Child Advocacy and Policy offers students an interdisciplinary study of the field of child advocacy.  This course of study is relevant to students who intend to pursue careers working with children and families. The curriculum compliments many majors including psychology, sociology, family science and human development, justice studies, and medical humanities. Through the perspectives of social work, psychology, and law, students gain foundational knowledge of child advocacy and child protection, with a particular focus on policy and practice issues relevant to vulnerable children and families. This minor may be helpful when seeking employment with social services agencies and other helping organizations.

The minor consists of 6 courses (18 credit hours). To add the minor please email Nathaniel Aker at You will need to complete a Major/ Minor form.

Contact us via email or visit us: Dickson Hall – Room 301
Nathaniel Aker, Program Coordinator, will be present in the office on Wednesdays, Thursdays and every other Friday (call or email to confirm Fridays).
All other weekdays, we are available remotely via email, phone and zoom.

View Minor Requirements in the Course Catalog