photo of students sitting outside working on laptops

Course Substitution or Waiver

Looking to waive a general education writing course?

Guidelines for Montclair State University’s Acceptance of Transfer Courses for Substitution of College Writing I and College Writing II

If you have taken a course in New Jersey, check with NJTransfer. If appropriately listed, the course you have taken will be linked to any Montclair State University course for which you are eligible to receive credit. If you did not receive credit for 105 or 106 at the time of transfer, and your course is approved by NJTransfer, please complete the First-Year Writing Transfer Credits form below and just write “NJTransfer” in the “course description” box. No syllabus is needed for courses that fall under the NJTransfer agreement.

However, if the course you have taken does not show up on the NJTransfer website and you believe it is eligible, please do the following:

First, review Montclair State University’s course descriptions so you can be clear as to whether or not the course you have taken is similar to one of our courses. If you think your course is eligible, complete the First-Year Writing Transfer Credits Form.

Note: In order to have your waiver request processed, you must have all transcripts submitted formally to Montclair State University.