Why Public and Professional Writing?
Employers want to hire people with excellent written communication skills. Because all professional fields require some form of writing, our major in Public and Professional Writing (PPW) will prepare you to become a strategic, flexible writer. Additionally, our minor in Public and Professional Writing is the perfect complement to any major. In both programs, you will learn about the various forms of writing you are likely to encounter in the workplace and how to adapt your writing for different audiences and purposes. You will also compile a portfolio of work that you can show to prospective employers.
What can Public and Professional Writing do for you?
The Public and Professional Writing (PPW) Major and Minor focus on writing that serves professional goals or the public interest (or both). We invite students from across the university to focus on writing as a way to develop the critical writing, learning, and thinking skills necessary to all aspects of professional life. Through Public and Professional Writing, you will—
- Learn how to best meet the needs of your target audience
- Create professional documents, including proposals, reports, presentations, websites, client correspondence, and digital media
- Become adept at working in collaborative environments by drafting, editing, designing, and revising documents with others
- Gain familiarity with a variety of tools used for writing in a digital environment
- Become familiar with the professional, cultural, and political dynamics of a global workplace
Read about our alumni and what careers they have chosen after graduating with Public and Professional Writing coursework.
Learn more about who our faculty are, and how they see themselves as writers.
- View the four year curriculum plan for the B.A. in Public and Professional Writing.
- View the requirements for the Public and Professional Writing minor in the course catalog.
Contact Prof. Ron Brooks, Writing Studies department chair, for more information about the major in Public and Professional Writing.
Contact Prof. Caroline Dadas, PPW minor coordinator, for more information about the minor in Public and Professional Writing.