Non-Degree and Visiting Students
There are two classifications for students wishing to take courses without fully matriculating in a graduate program: General Non-Degree and Professional Non-Degree. Please click here to determine your eligibility for Non-Degree or Pre-Admit Status.
All non-degree applicants must submit an online application and an official transcript from the school from which they received their highest degree. Documentation should be sent to:
The Graduate School, Montclair State University
College Hall 203
1 Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07043
Phone: 973-655-5147 or 800-955-GRAD
Please note that all non-degree students who hold a bachelor’s degree will be assessed graduate tuition, fees and other costs regardless of the level (Undergraduate or Graduate) of the courses they are taking.
General Non-Degree Option
General Non-Degree students may take up to two courses (six credits). Please note that not all programs allow non-degree students; for details, click here or contact The Graduate School directly at 973-655-5147 or 800-955-GRAD.
Students who are later admitted to a Montclair State graduate program may transfer a maximum of six non-degree credits – if applicable to the program – into their graduate program pending the approval of the Graduate Program Coordinator. Admission requires a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in a bachelor’s degree program and submission of proof of degree conferral.
Professional Non-Degree Option
The Professional Non-Degree option admits qualified students who are not planning to apply to a Montclair State graduate program, but who are:
- Seeking career advancement, professional development, or personal enrichment
- Satisfying accreditation/licensure requirements
- Seeking continuing professional credits
- Applying for certification through the State of New Jersey or an outside agency
- Taking undergraduate courses to prepare for a graduate degree program
This option allows you to take as many courses as you would like, as long as you maintain a continuous matriculation from semester to semester.
Students who later decide to apply to and who are admitted to a Montclair graduate program may transfer a maximum of six non-degree credits – if applicable to the program – into their graduate program pending the approval of the Graduate Program Coordinator.
Admission requires a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in an applicant’s bachelor’s degree program and submission of proof of degree conferral.
Other Non-Degree Options
If your application to Montclair State is incomplete, or if it is too close to the start of the term for you to complete your application, you may take up to two courses (six credits) as a Pre-Decision student while completing your application.
This status is not available to international applicants seeking F-1 or student visas.
To enroll as a Pre-Decision student, you must complete the following:
- Online Application Form
- Submit your transcript, indicating the receipt of an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited U.S. college or university and a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in a bachelor’s degree program
- Pay the $60 nonrefundable application fee. Checks should be payable to Montclair State University
- Submit the Pre-Decision Status Request Form
If you did not receive an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited U.S. college or university, you must also:
- Submit the required course-by-course evaluation of your post-secondary education from any member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) found at www.naces.org
- Submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores if you do not have an undergraduate or graduate degree from a school where English is the official language. Note that your scores must be less than two years old.
The Graduate School will review your application and supporting documentation and notify you via email if you are eligible to register for courses as a Pre-Decision student.
Visiting Non-Degree Option
Students who are graduate students in good standing at other institutions may apply to take courses at Montclair State University. To apply, submit the following:
- Visiting Student Application
- An official transcript from the school you are currently attending
- Please note that upon application, you will be assessed a nonrefundable $25 Visiting Student fee. * A non-refundable $25 application fee. Checks should be payable to Montclair State University
Unemployment Tuition Waiver Program
Pre-Qualification to Apply for the Unemployment Tuition Waiver Program
Students interested in studying at Montclair State under the Unemployment Tuition Waiver Program may do so as non-degree seeking students only. These students must meet the same academic standards required of Professional Non-Degree students, and may only take classes under programs that admit Non-Degree students. Interested applicants must complete the online application, selecting Professional Non-Degree and Unemployment Tuition Waiver options.
Please note the following:
- Academic approval is granted for a single semester only. You must complete this process for each subsequent semester that you wish to be considered for the Unemployment Tuition Waiver Program.
- Pre-qualification approval as an Unemployment Tuition Waiver Program student allows you to enroll in a course(s) as a non-degree seeking student. It does not imply or guarantee your acceptance into a degree program. In order to enroll in a degree program, you will need to submit a separate application after you have finished your studies under the Unemployment Tuition Waiver option.
- This application grants pre-qualification to study at Montclair State University in general. In order to receive the tuition waiver, you will need to receive additional authorization from the Tuition Waiver Program Coordinator.
- Failure to provide full and accurate information on this form may result in a significant delay or inability to process your application.
- A maximum of 12 credits earned under the Unemployment Tuition Waiver program may be applied toward a degree program should you later apply and enroll in a degree-seeking graduate program.
- For additional deadlines and eligibility requirements, please click here.