A prospective applicant who has completed a bachelor’s degree may qualify to take graduate-level courses without fully matriculating into a graduate degree program. Non-degree study may be an appealing option if any of the following applicant scenarios apply to you.
- You are seeking to take graduate-level coursework for your own personal interests, career advancement, or professional development.
- You are currently in the process of applying for a graduate degree program at Montclair State University.
- You are currently a graduate student in good standing enrolled at another college/university and wish to take courses at Montclair State with the intention of transferring credits earned back to their home institution.
How to Apply
Non-degree applicants should follow the instructions available on the How to Apply portion of the Graduate School website.
- Admission requires a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in a bachelor’s degree program and proof of degree conferral.
- An official transcript should be mailed to The Graduate School from the college or university where you received your bachelor’s degree. If you are applying to be a visiting student, please also request an official transcript from the school you are currently attending.
- There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
International Non-Degree Students
- Non-degree status is not available to international applicants seeking F-1 visas.
- Applicants who did not receive an undergraduate or graduate degree from a U.S. accredited college or university must submit the required course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of NACES or Educated Choices.
- If your undergraduate or graduate degree is from an institution where English is not the official language of instruction, please submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores that are less than two years old. View TOEFL and IELTS score requirements.
- If approved, non-degree status only lasts for one semester, and students are permitted to take two classes for a total of six credits during that semester. Non-degree students who are seeking to attend for more than one semester, or to take additional courses, must contact The Graduate School. Please note that you can only transfer a maximum of six credits into any graduate program.
- Admission or high-level performance as a non-degree student does not guarantee future admission to a graduate degree program.
- Please note that not all courses are open to non-degree students.
- You may register for courses on a space-available basis only; students already admitted to these programs are given registration priority.
- Financial aid is NOT available for non-degree students.
- The following programs DO NOT allow non-degree:
- Accounting (MS)
- Accounting (Certificate)
- Advanced Counseling (Certificate)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (Certificate)
- Clinical Psychology (MA), Child/Adolescent Clinical Psychology Concentration
- Clinical Psychology (MA), Clinical Forensic Psychology Concentration
- Clinical Psychology (PhD)
- Communication Sciences and Disorders (MA), Speech Language Pathology Concentration
- Communication Sciences and Disorders (PhD)
- Counseling (MA), Addictions Counseling Concentration
- Counseling (MA), Clinical Mental Health Counseling Concentration
- Counseling (MA), School Counseling Concentration
- Counseling (MA), Student Affairs/Counseling in Higher Ed Concentration
- Counseling (PhD)
- Dance (MFA)
- Director of School Counseling Services (Certification)
- Educational Leadership (MA)
- Educational Leadership (MA) Online
- Educational Leadership (MA), Higher Education Concentration
- Environmental Science and Management (PhD)
- Family Science and Human Development (PhD)
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology (MA)
- Mathematics Education (PhD)
- Molecular Biology (MS)
- Nursing (MSN)
- Principal (Certification)
- Psychology (MA)
- School Counselor (Certification)
- School Psychologist (Certification)
- Social Work (MSW)
- Substance Awareness Coordinator (Certification)
- Supervisor (Certification)
- Teacher Education and Certification Programs
- Teacher Education and Teacher Development (PhD)