Graduate School students talking outside of University Hall entrance

Non-Degree and Visiting Students

A prospective applicant who has completed a bachelor’s degree may qualify to take graduate-level courses without fully matriculating into a graduate degree program. Non-degree study may be an appealing option if any of the following applicant scenarios apply to you.

  • You are seeking to take graduate-level coursework for your own personal interests, career advancement, or professional development.
  • You wish to take coursework before being formally admitted to a program, or those who are taking classes for personal or professional development and are not pursuing any other program
  • You are currently in the process of applying for a graduate degree program at Montclair State University.
  • You are currently a graduate student in good standing enrolled at another college/university and wish to take courses at Montclair State with the intention of transferring credits earned back to their home institution.

How to Apply

  • Complete an application for Non-Degree study
    • If you are interested in taking only undergraduate courses, please apply through the Undergraduate Admissions application.
    • If you are seeking to take graduate-level coursework, please follow the instructions available on the How to Apply portion of our website.  You will select “Non-Degree” as your academic program when filling out your application.

Admission Requirements

  • Admission requires a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in a bachelor’s degree program and proof of degree conferral.
  • An unofficial transcript should be submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions from the U.S. college or university where you received your bachelor’s degree. If you are applying to be a visiting student, please also submit an unofficial transcript from the U.S. institution you are currently attending. Please visit our FAQ Page to learn more about Uploading Your Unofficial Transcripts.
  • There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.

International Non-Degree Students

  • Non-degree status is not available to international applicants seeking F-1 visas.
  • Applicants who did not receive an undergraduate or graduate degree from a U.S. accredited college or university must submit the required course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of NACES.
  • If your undergraduate or graduate degree is from an institution where English is not the official language of instruction, please submit official TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo English Test scores that are less than two years old. View TOEFL and IELTS score requirements.

Additional Information