Safe Space Program
What Is The Safe Space Program?
The Safe Space Program identifies faculty, staff and students who have completed our Safe Space training. Participants in the program work to end homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, cissexism, and heterosexism on campus and create a visible network of support for the LGBTQ community. Some of the people who display the sticker or button identify as part of the LGBTQ community, while others are allies to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and/or questioning individuals.
Only individuals who have gone through the Safe Space Program are able to display the sticker/button. If someone does not have a Safe Space sticker/button, it does not necessarily mean they are not LGBTQ affirming. If you don’t see a sticker on an office, look for other signs that the space is safe (i.e. rainbow flags, LGBTQ-themed books, etc).
There are a limited number of spaces available per session and pre-registration is required. We have both open and private sessions. Any member of the community can register for an open session. Private sessions are available for departments, organizations, etc and will require password access. To request a private, departmental/organizational session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
All sessions are four hours and are first-come, first-served. Pre-registration is required. Registrants are expected to attend the full session. Register for a session - registration will be available 3 weeks prior to the date of the training.
FALL 2014 TRAININGS:
- Wednesday, August 27th, 1pm-5:30pm
- Wednesday, September 10th, 9:00am-1:00pm CANCELLED
- Saturday, September 27th, 9:00am-1:30pm
- Wednesday, October 8th, 9:00am-1:00pm
- Thursday, October 17, 11:00am-3:00pm (CAPS Ambassadors)
- Monday, November 3, 5:00pm-9:30pm (Teacher Education Program)
- Wednesday, November 5th, 9:30am-1:30pm
- Saturday, November 22nd, 1:00pm-5:30pm
- Wednesday, December 3rd, 9:30am-1:30pm
WINTER 2015 TRAININGS:
- Thursday, January 15th, 12:30pm-5pm (Residence Life, GSO)
SPRING 2015 TRAININGS:
- Saturday, February 21st, 1pm-5:30pm (Greek Life)