Our Safe Space Training is an intensive, interactive training that provides attendees with information and tools to combat homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, cissexism and heterosexism, on campus and beyond. Through interactive activities and discussion, participants will personally reflect on their own experiences to enhance their personal and professional development, provide further education, and finally, identify ways to create change on campus and beyond.
All sessions are three hours and are first-come, first-served. Pre-registration is required. Registrants are expected to attend the full session. Only individuals who have fully completed the Safe Space Program and have agreed to the expectations of its membership are able to display the sticker/button of our program.
The primary goal of the Safe Space Program is to create a network of support for the LGBTQ community at Montclair State through:
- Personal and Professional Development
While this program does focus on the lives experiences of LGBTQ people, education on LGBTQ issues, and challenges affecting college-aged LGBTQ people on our campus and nationally, this program is more centered on the attendees and their experiences with LGBTQ people and issues.
- Understand and identify your own privileges
- Differentiate between sex, gender identity, gender expression & sexual orientation
- Describe ways to create more inclusive environments on campus for LGBTQ people
- Utilize inclusive and affirming language regarding sexual and gender identities
- Be knowledgeable about referral services and resources
- Dispel stereotypes
- Create Change on campus and beyond
Learn more about our program or register for an upcoming training below.
Quotes from Participants of the Program
- “I got to meet new people and learn from their experiences.”
- “This learning really changed my life and I am so excited to say that I am so excited to say that I now know how to be an ACTIVE ally!”
- “I was surprised at how interactive the training was! The time really flew by and so much information was covered!”
- “Every student should go through this training—it’s life changing.”
Fall 2021 Safe Space Training Dates
- Friday October 15, 2021 – 12-3 p.m. | Register Now
- Thursday November 11, 2021 – 12-3 p.m. | Register Now
- Wednesday December 1, 2021 – 1-4 p.m. | Register Now
Request a Safe Space Training
Please note, a minimum of 20 participants will be required for individual, specialized trainings. If you are unable to guarantee at least 20 participants, please register for an already scheduled training date. Requestors are responsible for obtaining a room with projector and audio capabilities. Requests that do not meet the 20-participant or 4 weeks’ advance requirements will be denied.
Due to the time required to coordinate the logistics for this training, we kindly request 4 weeks’ notice. All trainings will be subject to facilitator availability, however, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 973 655-5114, or stop by our office in Student Center, Room 113 prior to completing the form.