General LGBTQ Resources
- Deaf Queer Resource Center: National nonprofit resource and information center for, by and about the Deaf LGBTQI community (hereafter referred to as the “Deaf Queer community”).
- GAAMC (Gay Activist Alliance of Morris County): Provides social and educational outreach for the GLBTQI community in Morris County, NJ.
- Garden State Equality: New Jersey’s largest marriage equality organization.
- NJ Gay Life: New Jersey’s online resource for the GLBT community. Find information on LGBT organizations, friendly businesses, clubs and bars, meetings, etc.
- Planet Out: News, resources, opinion, shopping, entertainment and more for the LGBT community.
- Queer Resource Directory: an electronic library with news clippings, political contact information, newsletters, essays, images, hyperlinks, and every other kind of information resource of interest to the GLBTQ community
- Sex Etc. – LGBTQ: Comprehensive resources about LGBT youth including stories, links to discussion forums, blog posts, quizzes, Web sites, hotlines, and books—as well as a gallery of famous LGBTQ faces
Montclair State LGBTQ Resources
- Daughta Speaks: Is a student organization dedicated to bring awareness to the Black LGBTQ community here at Montclair State University. Daughta Speaks would like to educate all Montclair State University students through various events, highlighting the political and social issues that the Black LGBTQ community endures. Daughta Speaks would also like to encourage all students on campus to embrace a sense of authenticity, eagerness to grow beyond their personal boundaries and start a unique path in their personal life.
- LGBTQ Safe Space Program: The LGBTQ Safe Place Program identifies offices of Montclair State faculty and staff that are safe places for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. Such offices are identified with a decal. The decal has a green circle with two triangles in the center, one pink and one in black. It reads LGBTQ Safe Space. Some of the people who display the decal are lesbian or gay, while others are supportive of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individuals.
- LGBTQ Studies Minor: Montclair State University’s LGBTQ minor offers students to explore LGBTQ representations, cultures, and histories, think critically about identities, current issues, institutions, and activism and enhance educational and professional opportunities.
- After Ellen: News, reviews and commentary on Lesbian and Bisexual women in entertainment and th media
- GayTimes: The website of the British Gay magazine
- LesbianNews.com: News, humor, travel, arts, entertainment & more
- New York Gay City News
- Philadelphia Gay News
- My Door Sign: All Gender restroom signs
- Pink News
National LGBTQ Organizations
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD): Promotes fair and accurate representation of LGBT people in the media.
- Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network (GLSEN): Organization for students, parents and teachers that tries to affect positive change in schools.
- GSANetwork: The national Gay-Straight Alliance
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC): The nation’s largest LGBT political organization.
- International Gay & Lesbian Human Rights Commission
- Immigration Equality: national organization fighting for equality under U.S. immigration law for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and HIV-positive individuals.
- Lambda Legal: Committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of LGBT people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.
- Log Cabin Republicans: LGBT political group
- The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF): Promotes civil rights for LGBT people.
- National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association
- National Center for Lesbian Rights
- National LGBT Bar Association: A national association of lawyers, judges and other legal professionals, law students, activists and affiliates, lesbians, gay, bisexual, transgender legal organizations.
- National Stonewall Democrats: LGBTQ political group
- Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG): Promotes the health and well-being of LGBT persons, their families and friends through support, education and advocacy.
- Adodi: New York group that provides a safe space to same-sex loving men of African Heritage to empower them to get a better understanding of their own spirituality, self-expression and sexual identity.
- Gay Asian Pacific Alliance: International organization for gay and bisexual Asian Pacific men.
- National Association of Black and White Men Together: A gay, multi-racial, multi-cultural organization for all people committed to fostering respect, honesty and communication among people of different races and cultural backgrounds.
- The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice: Works for social, racial and economic justice in the U.S. and internationally. Their grantmaking and philanthropic advocacy programs help lesbians and allied communities challenge oppression and claim their human rights.
- Bint el Nas: A community for LGBTQ Arab women
- Lesbian.com: An international resource by, for, and about lesbians
- Lesbian Herstory Archives: Historical archives of lesbians and lesbian culture
- Lesbian.org: A collection of lesbian-related links and resources
- QWave: An organization for people of Asian Pacific-Islander descent who identify as LGBTQ.
- National Center for Transgender Equality: A national social justice organization devoted to ending discrimination and violence against transgender people
- International Foundation for Gender Equality: Promotes the self-definition and free expression of individual gender identity
- FTM International: Resource for Female-to-Male individuals
- National Transgender Guide: Postings of online transgender resources
- HRC.org: Coming Out as Transgender
- Transgender Law and Policy Institute (TLPI): A non-profit organization dedicated to engaging in effective advocacy for transgender people in our society. The TLPI brings experts and advocates together to work on law and policy initiatives designed to advance transgender equality.
- Kulia Na Mamo: Aa social justice organization with a particular focus on Hawaii’s transgender population.
- Trans Lifeline: A U.S. support hotline staffed by transgender people for transgender people. Number: 877-565-8860
LGBTQ Youth Groups
- Hetrick Martin Institute is the nation’s oldest and largest organization helping gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth to reach their full potential.
- HiTOPS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that fosters strong and healthy young people of all identities by providing inclusive and youth-informed sex education and LGBTQ+ support for young people throughout New Jersey.
- Hudson Pride Center is a home and voice for the diverse LGBTQ community and our allies that advocates for our physical, mental, social, and political well-being.
- North Jersey Pride RAD Family is a program for transgender and gender-expansive youth and their families.
Advocacy and Legal Assistance
Organizations Supporting Transgender Individuals
- American Association of Sexuality Educators Counselors and Therapists
AASECT: This association provides a stable, nationwide network of accredited professionals such as sex therapists, family counselors, lawyers, physicians, nurses, social workers and many others that can assist the transgender individual.
- Jersey Shore PFLAG
(Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (Also trans-folks)
Abby Maisonave, President
Facebook: Jersey shore PFLAG
- Pride Center of New Jersey
85 Raritan Avenue, Suite 100
Highland Park, NJ 08904-2701
- The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center
208 West 13th Street
New York, NY 10011
- Institute for Personal Growth (Known as “IPG”)
Three Office Locations:
8 South Third Avenue, Highland Park, New Jersey 08904
281 Payonia Ave. Jersey City, NJ 08732
90 West Main Street, Freehold, NJ 07728
- GLSEN Central New Jersey
The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.
PO Box 261
Hightstown, NJ 08520
Standards of Healthcare of Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming People
Regularly Meeting Transgender Support Groups
- Transgender/Transfamilies Support Group in Shrewsbury
3rd Monday of every month from 7-9 p.m. (Organized by PFLAG)
Church House of the Presbyterian Church at Shrewsbury
352 Sycamore Ave. Shrewsbury, N.J. 07702
Use rear parking lot, enter rear door, go up the stairs and to the right to our meeting room
Get directions using Google Maps
- Transgender Support Group in Highland Park, NJ
3rd Sunday of every month from 4-6 p.m.
Pride Center of New Jersey
58 Raritan Ave. (Suite 100 – Lower Level)
Use rear parking lot, enter side door, go down the stairs and to the left to our meeting room.
- PFLAG of Bergen County NJ Transgender Support Group
3rd Wednesday of every month at 7:30pm
Central Unitarian Church
156 Forest Ave, Paramus, NJ 07652
Transgender Religious Support
- Metropolitan Community Church
85 Raritan Ave, Suite 100, Highland Park, NJ 08904
- East Brunswick Unitarian Universalist Society
176 Tices Lane, East Brunswick, NJ 08816
- First Unitarian Universalist Society of Plainfield
724 Park Avenue
Plainfield, NJ 07060
- The Presbyterian Church at Shrewsbury
352 Sycamore Avenue, Shrewsbury, NJ 07702
- Temple Ner Tamid
936 Broad St, Bloomfield, NJ 07003
- The Intersex Society of North America (ISNA): systemic change to end shame, secrecy and unwanted genital surgeries for people born with an anatomy that someone decided is not standard for male or female.
- The Intersex Initiative: Oregon based national activist and advocacy organization for people born with intersex conditions.
- HRC.org: Straight Ally resources
- Gay Straight Alliance Network: What Every Straight Ally Should Know
- Parents, Friends and Families of Lesbians and Gays
General Health Resources
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association: ensures equality in health care for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals and health care providers
- Callen-Lorde Community Health Center: New York City LGBT health center
- Go Ask Alice!: a health question and answer Internet site produced by Columbia University’s Health Education Program.
- LGBT Health Resource Center: Provides education on LGBT Health Issues
- MEDLINE: National Institute of Health online resource with LGBT information
- The National LGBT Tobacco Control Network: The LGBTQ community smoke at rates 40%-almost 200% higher than the general population. We work to support the many local tobacco control advocates in helping to eliminate tobacco health disparities for all LGBT people.
- PROUD Family Health (Somerville, NJ) Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset is the first hospital in New Jersey to offer specialized primary care services for the LGBTQIA community at our PROUD Family Health at RWJ Somerset Family Practice. Services include primary medical care for children and adults, hormone therapy and monitoring, HIV care, referrals for specialty services, health education and counseling, and support groups, including a monthly support group for family members of transgender individuals.
- Rutgers Center for Transgender Health: The Rutgers Center for Transgender Health (RCTH) is a collaborative center that will provide a full spectrum of medical, psychiatric and surgical care for the transgender person. Services include hormone therapy, psychiatric resources, and gender confirmation surgery.
- ASIAC: Philadelphia-based organization providing HIV/AIDS services to Asian communities
- Asian & Pacific Islander Coalition on HIV/AIDS: New York-based organization providing HIV/AIDS related services, education, and research to Asian and Pacific Islander communities.
- Buddies of NJ, Inc.: Service, education, resources, and care to those living with and affected by HIV/AIDS
- Project LOL of the Hyacinth Foundation: Free HIV Testing
- TheBody.com: The complete HIV/AIDS resource
- Gay and Lesbian Latino AIDS Education Initiative (GALAEI): Philadelphia-based HIV/AIDS education & prevention program for Latino/a sexual minorities
- La Casa De Don Pedro: Free HIV testing and programming. counseling and other support services also available.
Minority AIDS Project
- NAMES Project AIDS Foundation: Organizations using the AIDS Memorial Quilt to help bring an end to AIDS
- National Minority AIDS Council
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): 973-655-5222
- Essex County Rape Care Center
- Passaic County Rape Crisis Services: 973-881-1450
- Rape Crisis Hotline: 877-733-2273
- University Health Center: 973-655-4361
- University Police: 973-655-5222
- YWCA of Bergen County HealingSPACE: Free individual and group counseling services. Currently offering a men’s group and two women’s groups, establishing an all gender group specifically for LGBTQ survivors of sexual violence.
Religion and Spirituality
General and Local Resources
- Soul Force: Advocating freedom for LGBT people from religious and political oppression through the practice of relentless nonviolent resistance.
- ReligiousTolerance.org: Religious groups’ policies on homosexuality
- Union Congregational Church of Montclair: An open and affirming United Church of Christ Congregation in Montclair.
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Montclair: The local Unitarian Church is located in Montclair, NJ. Open and Affirming.
- First Congregational Church of Montclair: An open and affirming United Church of Christ Congregation in Montclair, NJ.
- St. Johns Episcopal Church Montclair: Local Episcopal Church welcoming to the LGBT Community located in Montclair, NJ
- St. Lukes Episcopal Church Montclair: Local Episcopal Church welcoming to the LGBT Community located in Montclair, NJ
- Bnai Keshet: friendly Reconstructionist Synagogue serving the greater Essex County area. At Bnai Keshet a diverse group of people comes together to form a warm, spiritually invigorating and intellectually rigorous Jewish community. Located in Montclair, NJ
- St. Francis of Assisi: A self-governing Catholic community with a mission of service to all. St. Francis is an open and affirming Catholic Community.
- Reverend Ann Ralosky: Protestant Reverend located at Montclair State University
Office Number: 973-655-7033
Cell Number: 973-997-0370
Specific Faiths & Denominations
- Baptist: The Association of Welcoming & Affirming Baptists
- Catholic: DignityUSA
- Lutheran: Lutherans Concerned
- Episcopalian: IntegrityUSA
- Evangelical: Evangelicals Concerned
- Presbyterian: More Light Presbyterians
- Quaker: Friends for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Concern
- Seventh-Day Adventist: Seventh-Day Adventist Kinship
- Unitarian Universalist: Unitarian Universalist Office of LGBT Concerns
Career Planning and Job Searches
Job Search Engines & Networking Websites
- DiversitySearch.com: A diversity career portal for minorities, women and other job seekers and diversity recruiters.
- Idealist.org: Thousands of job listings, most in the non-profit sector. This website allows you to search by interest and includes “Gay, Lesbian, Bi, and Trans Issues” as an area of focus.
- ProGayJobs.com: A recruiting portal that provides diversity-focused employers with opportunities to post jobs and advertise to the LGBT workforce, and provides resources to LGBT job seekers to find jobs with companies that embrace diversity.
- OutProfessionals.org: Job search and networking website, including a directory of businesses, women’s network, LGBT events and links, and volunteer opportunities.
- Transgender Job Bank: employment site designed specifically to bring employers and transgender candidates together.
Workplace Policies, Information, & Resources
- Human Rights Campaign Workplace Information: The best source of information on workplace and corporate policies related to sexual orientation and gender identity. Includes information about non-discrimination policies, organizations with domestic partnership benefits, municipalities that have laws banning employment discrimination, and career articles.
- Out & Equal: Provides workplace advocacy and programs to LGBT individuals. Each year they educate employers through their Diversity Training Program and their National Workplace Summit Conference.
- Transgender at Work: Provides resources for innovative employers who want to set their company employment policies to help their transgendered employees to be at their most productive.