Frequently Asked Questions

What is EMS and what do they do?

EMS stands for Emergency Medical Services. EMS is the organization that is made up of Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) and CPR trained members. Montclair State EMS is equipped to handle basic emergencies that occur both on and off campus. EMS can handle strains, sprains, and breaks, head injuries, medical emergencies such as chest pain, seizures, allergic reactions and anaphylaxis, difficulty breathing, and mental health emergencies. This is only a small list of what we can do. Should your emergency require advanced treatment, we are able to call additional assistance from the paramedics in our area.

When is Montclair State EMS available?

During the fall and spring semesters, Montclair State EMS is available 24/7 with the exception of holiday breaks (Thanksgiving, winter/spring break). Over the summer semester, Montclair State EMS is available Monday-Friday from 7 a.m to 7 p.m., with the occasional overnight. Should Montclair State EMS not be available, the campus still has emergency medical coverage through the agreement with local mutual aid agencies that will be dispatched and respond to campus emergencies.

Does Montclair State EMS carry any medications?

Montclair State EMS carries EMERGENCY medications including, Naloxone (Narcan), glucose, aspirin (for cardiac emergencies), epinephrine (for severe allergic reactions), and oxygen.

We DO NOT carry every day medications for non-emergencies such as Benadryl, Tylenol, Advil, cough drops/medication, Midol, or other over the counter medications. These medications may be found at the University Health Center or the C-Store on campus.

How do I get a hold of Montclair State EMS in an emergency?

From a campus phone, you can dial x5222 or 973-655-5222 which will connect you to the campus police department who will get an ambulance dispatched. If you cannot get to a campus phone, you can call 911 or 973-655-5222 from any phone, just make sure you are telling the dispatcher your location and remember to stay on the phone until you are instructed to hang up.

I don’t think that I need an ambulance, I’m not having an emergency, but still want to get some medical assistance or advice. Is there anywhere I can go on campus for help?

The University Health Center is available for students who wish to receive medical treatment. The UHC in a comprehensive outpatient health care facility that provides multiple services including physicals, gynecological care, STD/HIV screening, referrals, diagnosis/treatment of illness and injuries, laboratory services, immunizations, emergency contraceptives, and more.

Please visit the University Health Centers page to see all of the services and how you can make an appointment

Does Montclair State EMS charge for emergency services?

No. We do not charge for services that we provide as a Basic Life Support ambulance nor for the transport to local hospitals.

I received a bill after I was transported. Why?

You may receive a bill after being transported due to a few reasons:

  • If Montclair State EMS is not available due to being on a call already or out of service, agreements are set up with neighboring towns to assist us with mutual aid so that all calls for emergencies are answered. These departments may charge for their services. The most common ones on campus are Little Falls EMS and Montclair EMS.
  • Another situation would be if your level of emergency required the utilization of paramedics, or an Advanced Life Support (ALS) unit. The paramedics provide a higher level of medical intervention and do charge for their services.
  • You may receive a bill from the hospital or be required to pay for treatment at the hospital, depending on your personal insurance.

While Montclair State EMS does its best to answer every emergency call on campus, there are times when that is not possible. In all of the above situations, Montclair State EMS has no control over the billing processes of other agencies. If you receive a bill and need assistance, contact the billing department and they would be able to assist you or work with your insurance provider, if ambulance services are covered.

Can Montclair State EMS give me a ride to an urgent care center or to my doctor’s office? What about pick me up from the hospital and drive me back to campus?

Unfortunately, no. As an EMS agency we are able to transport to hospitals only. We do not provide transportation back to campus once you have been discharged, but the hospital may be able to assist you in finding a means of transportation from the hospital to campus.

Which hospitals does Montclair State EMS transport to?

With the exception of a few special cases, Montclair State EMS transports to the closest hospital with the most appropriate interventions available. We primarily transport to St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Patterson and Hackensack Meridian Health at Mountainside Hospital in Montclair. For traumatic injuries, we transport to St. Josephs as they are a trauma center. Psychiatric emergencies are transported to Mountainside Hospital as they work with our University CAPS department to ensure continued care. Should your condition warrant transfer to another hospital after arriving in an emergency, the hospital will arrange for hospital transfers.

If I am underage or with someone who is underage, will I get in trouble if I call 911 for medical assistance for myself or a friend who has been drinking?

In any situation where there is a medical emergency, 911 should be contacted immediately. Montclair State University has adopted a Medical Amnesty Program that seeks to remove barriers to calling 911 in situations where alcohol/drugs may be involved.  Students who seek emergency medical attention for themselves or for whom medical assistance was sought related to consumption of alcohol and/or other drugs will not be charged with violations of the Montclair State University Code of Conduct associated with that consumption (specifically: Section II, Letter B.), provided they comply with specific conditions.

Can I become a member of Montclair State EMS?

Absolutely! We are always looking for new members to join our department. You do not have to be EMT certified when you join. We require a minimum of a Healthcare Provider level CPR/AED certification, which we may be able to help you obtain if you intend to join the department. For all information related to membership with the department, please visit our membership page. Questions can be directed to our officers at or at the EMS office in Student Center Rm. 209 All applications must be submitted via e-mail (we do not accept paper applications) to Please be advised that we will contact you once your background check has come back and an opening has become available in the department. This may take some time, so please be patient.

How do I become a certified EMT?
  • EMT training classes are offered throughout the state of NJ. Learn More and Find a Class Near You.
  • The EMT course is approximately 200 in-class hours in addition to an asynchronous component. Students are encouraged to take this course over the Summer instead of simultaneously with a full college course load.
  • The course typically costs approximately $1,500, not including class materials and books.
  • The State of NJ offers a training fund payment voucher for members of eligible volunteer EMS squads, with the expectation of a minimum of one full year of volunteer service after completing the course. Montclair State University EMS considers providing payment vouchers on a case-by-case basis after successful completion of our in-house training program. Students are encouraged to find a volunteer squad near their hometown to cover the cost of the course.
Are your EMTs paid?
  • No, we are a volunteer agency with the exception of occasional paid opportunities for covering special events.
Do members get free housing?
  • We have a limited number of spots for members who are eligible for our competitive Resident EMT program. Learn More.