2022 English Department Scholarships and Awards
Congratulations to the Winners!
Undergraduate Scholarships and Awards
- The Frank G. and Nicole McGuire Scholarship for a full-time undergraduate English major with at least 3.2 cumulative GPA. Emily Paluba
- The Bessie Saslaw Solomon Memorial Scholarship for an English major who has shown a commitment to making a difference in the lives of people in the community. Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 overall and 3.5 in the major. Jayde Worthen
- The Shari Kandell Scholarship for an undergraduate English major who is employed while pursuing his, her, or their studies. Preference is given to part-time students employed at least 20 hours per week. Must have at least a 3.0 GPA. Graduating seniors are not eligible. Jack Cummings.
- The W. Leonard Newman Award for excellence in writing about film. Talia Steinmetz.
- English Department Teacher Education Award for an outstanding undergraduate English Education student who has met all requirements for acceptance into the English Education Program. Haley Flake
- Bernard Fleischmann Memorial Award for an English major who has shown excellence in the study of the humanities. Daniel Marx
- The Anthony Lovasco Shakespeare Award for an English major who has shown excellence in Shakespeare studies. Caleb Knight
- Elizabeth Dean Eler Memorial Award for an outstanding essay by an undergraduate student focusing on poetry. Recipient must have a minimum GPA of 3.2 or above. Diana Maldonado
- The Murray Prosky Prize in Irish Literature for an outstanding paper on Irish literature written by a graduate or undergraduate student. Alexander McParland
- The Vivien L. Kwiatek Scholarship for outstanding English majors. This scholarship is determined based on academic achievement and financial need. Graduating seniors are not eligible. Please note: students applying for the Kwiatek must have submitted a FAFSA form to financial aid before March 15. Alfredo Alvarez, Jade Criso, Rashida Estevez, and Danielle McClelland
Graduate Scholarships and Awards
- The Mary Bondon Graduate Scholarship for an outstanding graduate student who intends to pursue a career in teaching English at the high school or college level. Students must have 8 or more credits remaining in MA program. Kimberly Crooks
- The Lawrence H. Conrad Memorial Scholarship for an outstanding graduate student who is writing a thesis in American Literature. Students must have 5 or more credits remaining in the MA program. Diane Paulson
Creative Writing Awards
- The Johnny Muller Memorial Scholarship in Fiction. Crystal Castro
- The Tom Benediktsson Award for Poetry. Kaitlyn Alden
- The Carter Ross Flash Fiction Award. Caleb Knight
- English Department Award for Creative Nonfiction. Jahod Silver