The Graduate School at Montclair State University is host to the Alpha Kappa Chapter of Alpha Epsilon Lambda Honor Society for Graduate and Professional School Students. Alpha Epsilon Lambda (AEL) was founded in 1990 by former officers of the National Association of Graduate-Professional Students, specifically to honor academic excellence and leadership. The mission of AEL is to:
- Confer distinction for high achievement.
- Promote leadership development.
- Promote scholarship and encourage intellectual development.
- Enrich the intellectual environment of graduate education institutions.
- Encourage high standards of ethical behavior.
Qualifications for membership are:
- Academic achievement in the top 20th percentile of the member’s college or school in which their degree program resides.
- Successful completion of 18 graduate credits and active matriculation in a degree program.
- Demonstration of leadership through involvement in on-campus or off-campus activities while a graduate student.
Please note that membership is highly competitive. For the most recently inducted members, the average cumulative GPA was 3.947 (calculated using only 500-level courses and above).
Students are invited to membership into AEL by The Graduate School. Invitations are e-mailed to students who meet the basic requirements for membership. Invitation to join is not a guarantee of membership. Students must complete an application and submit all required materials by the determined deadline. Invitation to membership occurs twice a year with a formal induction ceremony sponsored in the spring semester. Each initiate will receive lifetime membership into AEL and the insignia of AEL: A label pin, honor cord, and certificate.
The Alpha Kappa Chapter’s 2018-2019 President is Courtney L. Serpone.
If you have joined AEL during the 2019-2020 academic year, you are invited to participate in the 2020 AEL Induction Ceremony, which is also open to your family and friends.
Date: Thursday, April 14, 2020
Student Reporting Time: 6:00 pm
Ceremony Start Time: 6:30 pm
Location: University Hall Conference Center, 7th Floor
*Invitations will be sent in 2020
Business attire is required. A reception with light refreshments will immediately follow the ceremony.
Note that if you do not attend the ceremony, you may pick up your honor society materials from The Graduate School, during regular business hours, between April 16th and May 18th.
For more information, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org