Professional Accounting (Certificate)
The Professional Accounting Certificate Program combines theory and practical skill to prepare you for a successful transition into the accounting profession. Classroom learning is immediately transferrable to the job and opens the opportunity for in-demand accounting positions in a wide variety of corporations, nonprofit institutions and in the public sector.
The Professional Accounting Certificate Program satisfies the NJ State Board requirement of 24 credits in accounting education. Please review the current requirements for the NJ CPA exam. The program is ideal for an undergraduate business major, who did not major in accounting, and who, sometime after graduation, has decided to pursue a career as a professional accountant. The program is a pathway towards our MS in Accounting degree. In addition, students pursuing an MBA, or who already earned an MBA, may be interested in this certificate if they decide to pursue the CPA license.
- 24 credits that can be completed within 18 months
- Full-time or part-time study options
- Evening classes held after 5:30 PM
- Rolling admissions
- 50% discount for the Becker CPA Review Course
- Professional Accounting Certificate graduates are eligible apply for the MS in Accounting regardless of their undergraduate academic background.
- All 24 Professional Accounting Certificate credits can be transferred into the 33-credit MS in Accounting program.
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
Ideal candidates will hold either an undergraduate degree in business or a Master’s of Business Administration (MBA) degree from a regionally-accredited college or university.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Professional Accounting (Certificate) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Standardized Test Scores: Not required.
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or Duolingo English Test are required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
- Resume: A current resume is required.
For more information, please visit the Professional Accounting (Certificate) program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Professional Accounting (Certificate) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*