Accounting (Combined BS/MS)
This 5-year degree program combines our BS and MS in Accounting programs and prepares you to become a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), as well as fulfill the required 150 credit hours of study. Our Accounting program, accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), helps students develop strong, comprehensive functional and technical skills as well as a specialized, in-depth understanding of the complexities of current accounting, auditing and tax practice. Classroom learning is immediately transferrable to the job and also prepares students to sit for the New Jersey CPA examination.
Students will benefit from the partnership between Becker CPA Review and Montclair State. To better prepare students for the CPA exam, the Department of Accounting, Law and Taxation has negotiated a substantial discount for students interested in taking the Becker CPA review course.
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
This combined bachelor’s/master’s program requires that you be a current Montclair State University undergraduate student working towards the bachelor’s portion of the combined program. If you have already received your bachelor’s degree from Montclair State University or any other institution, or are currently pursuing your bachelor’s at another institution, please see the information for the Accounting (MS) program.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Accounting (Combined BS/MS) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Statement of Purpose – Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career? Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two (2) letters of recommendation, from persons qualified to evaluate the applicant’s promise of academic achievement and potential for professional growth. (Optional for Fall 2020)
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or Duolingo English Test are required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
- Resume: A current resume is not required, but applicants are encouraged to include one.
Complete 33 semester hours: (three courses for nine hours will be applied from the UG program.) For more information, please visit the Accounting, Combined BS/MS program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Accounting (Combined BS/MS) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*