Business Administration (4+1 Bachelor’s/MBA)
The “4 + 1” Bachelor’s/MBA is a five year program, during which students will spend three years taking courses required for their chosen bachelor’s degree program and in their fourth year, they will complete (along with required undergraduate program courses) 6 credits worth of graduate business (MBA) coursework. This will satisfy both undergraduate degree requirements and count toward achievement of the MBA degree. In the fifth year, students will take graduate courses required for a General MBA, in a full-time format.
Students must notify the MBA Office regarding their interest in the program and complete a form of intent to designate intent to participate in the 4 + 1 program. Upon approval, students can enroll in the MBA swing courses during the spring semester of their senior year. Students will then apply to The Graduate School as a last term senior to be officially accepted as a graduate student. Those who do not meet 4 + 1 program requirements or who choose not to pursue the MBA by completing the remaining courses in year five will graduate with a Bachelor’s degree. Students who complete the 5-year program will possess both a Bachelor’s degree in their undergraduate discipline and an MBA degree.
- High-achieving Montclair State undergraduates are able to complete a Bachelor’s and MBA degree in five years
- Students from a variety of undergraduate disciplines gain valuable business and professional knowledge, skills and experiences that enhance their employability and career options post graduation
- Students can take advantage of a more cost-effective option for getting an MBA degree by taking some “swing” graduate courses that satisfy both their undergraduate and graduate degrees at the undergraduate tuition rate
Approved Major List:
The following undergraduate programs are approved for participation in the 4 +1 program.
- Business Analytics
- Hospitality Management
- International Business
- Management of Information & Technology
- Retail Merchandising & Management
- Real Estate
- Sports, Events, & Tourism Marketing
- BS Applied Mathematics and Statistics
- BS Biology
- BA Classics
- BS Earth and Environmental Science
- BA Economics
- BA Economics with concentration in Asset Management
- BA Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies
- BA Geographic, Environmental, and Urban Studies
- BA History
- BS Hospitality, Sports, Events, and Tourism
- BA Humanities
- BA Language, Business, and Culture (with concentrations in Arabic, French, German, and Italian). NOTE: the combined BA/MBA program option is not applicable to the BA in Language Business and Culture with a concentration in Spanish.
- BS Mathematics
- BA Philosophy
- BS Physics
- BA Psychology
- BS in Public Health with concentration in Community Health Education
- BS in Public Health with concentration in Health Systems Administration and Policy
- BA Religion
- BS Sustainability Science
- BA Writing Studies
As enrollees in a 5 year Bachelor’s/MBA program, students will complete 120 credits of undergraduate courses including 6 credits of MBA core courses (“swing” courses), 24 credits of remaining MBA core coursework and 6 credits of MBA elective courses, for a total of 150 credits.
Who is eligible to apply?
Students with a 3.1 GPA and above and who have declared a major from the Approved Major List are eligible to apply to the program. Please contact the MBA Office to schedule an appointment with an MBA Advisor at 973-655-4306 or email@example.com to discuss next steps.
*Students with a GPA below 3.1 are ineligible to pursue the 4+1 program. However, they may pursue the traditional MBA degree upon graduating with their bachelor’s degree. If they have obtained a 3.0 GPA or higher after graduation, the GRE/GMAT test will be waived.
If you are a prospective Freshman or Transfer applicant, learn more about admission criteria here.
Step 1: Schedule an appointment with an MBA Advisor by contacting the MBA Office at 973-655-4306 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 2: Complete a change of major to designate intent to participate in the 4 + 1 Bachelor’s / MBA program. Note: You can complete a change of major form after meeting with an MBA Advisor regarding the 4+1 Bachelor’s / MBA program.
Step 3: Complete foundation courses in Statistics, Accounting, and Finance (if not already completed) and earn at least a B- or better in all three foundation courses.
Step 4: Register for 6 credits of MBA Swing Courses (four 1.5 credit classes) in the Spring semester of your senior year.
If you have inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*
If you have questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us: