Certificate in Music Therapy
Admissions for this program have been suspended indefinitely. If you are interested in a career in music therapy please visit our Music (MA), Music Therapy Concentration program page.
Music Therapy is the process of clients and qualified music therapists working together through music to promote mental and physical health. Through carefully planned musical experiences, the client is provided with opportunities to address therapeutic goals across a wide range of needs. Music therapists work with individuals and groups from a variety of age ranges and life circumstances. The John J. Cali School assists our graduates in the process of identifying professional opportunities.
This program leads to the qualification to sit for the examination to become a Board-Certified Music Therapist (MT-BC). (For students with a bachelor’s degree in areas other than music, this is prerequisite to matriculation in graduate work.)
Along with the Certificate in Music Therapy, the Music department also offers the following options for graduate study: An Advanced Certificate in Music Education, Master of Arts degrees in Music with a concentration in Composition, Music with a concentration in Music Education, and Music with a concentration in Music Therapy, a Master of Music degree in Performance, and a combined Bachelor’s / Master of Arts in Teaching in Music.
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all of corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Music Therapy (Certificate) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement: Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career?
- Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or Duolingo English Test are required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
For curriculum information, please see the Music Therapy Certificate program listing in the course catalog
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program. *