Computer Science (Combined BS/MS)
The Computer Science combined BS/MS is an accelerated (five year) program which allows students to obtain both a master’s and a bachelor’s degree simultaneously. The computer science curriculum prepares students to design and implement software, to consider new ways to use computers, to assist in improving solutions to computer problems, and generally helps students to adapt to new ideas. Students should have taken all required computer science courses up through CMPT 371 at Montclair State University.
Along with the Computer Science (Combined BS/MS) degree, the Computer Science department also offers a Computer Science (MS) degree. Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
Undergraduate computer science majors with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in computer science at the end of the first semester of their junior year are eligible to apply for the combined BS/MS program. They will be admitted beginning in the first semester of the following academic year. Students who have completed the BS in Computer Science are not eligible for this program.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all of corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Computer Science (Combined BS/MS) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement: Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions.
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career? Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL or IELTS is required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
Complete 33 semester hours (6 hours will be applied from the UG program). For more information, please visit the Computer Science (Combined BS/MS) program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Computer Science (Combined BS/MS) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*