Elementary School Certification with Subject Matter Specialization: Language Arts/Literacy in Grades 5-8
This program, a post-baccalaureate certification endorsement in Middle School
English/Language Arts, is designed to give returning students who currently hold any valid
teaching license an additional certification area to prepare them for the changing state of the
profession and/or to make them satisfy the requirements as a Highly Qualified Teacher. To
explain, any K-5 or 6-8 educator who does not have a content area specialization (that is, a
major or minor in math, English, science or social studies) and has not passed the appropriate
Praxis examination (#10049 or #10041) is not considered Highly Qualified and is no longer
employable in public school districts.
This certificate program addresses the needs of educators who:
- Are no longer considered Highly Qualified.
- Wish to seek additional certifications.
- Desire to fill gaps in their teacher professional development.
Please refer to our teacher education and certification page for information on other options in teacher education as well as our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
This program is only open to prospective students who currently hold any valid teaching license. The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the international applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Elementary School Certification with Subject Matter Specialization: Language Arts/Literacy in Grades 5-8 program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Statement of Purpose: Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career? Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Teacher Certification: Valid teaching license.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the US degree equivalency information.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Elementary School Certification with Subject Matter Specialization: Language Arts/Literacy in Grades 5-8 Program Coordinator:
Program Coordinator: Laura Nicosia
Office: Dickson Hall