Elementary School Teacher (Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification)
Students with a baccalaureate degree and interest in teaching may pursue the post-baccalaureate program for certification only.
Upon successful completion of the program, the student will be recommended to the New Jersey Department of Education for a teaching certificate. Students interested in teaching elsewhere should seek information from the appropriate state authorities; requirements are generally similar.
As a condition of New Jersey’s Beginning Teacher Induction Program, candidates who have completed undergraduate or post-baccalaureate teacher certification programs must successfully complete one provisional year of teaching under a provisional certificate to be eligible for a permanent, standard New Jersey teaching certificate. Candidates who already possess a New Jersey standard certificate and who are seeking an additional teaching endorsement are exempt. Persons recommended by the University for certification will receive a Certificate of Eligibility With Advanced Standing which authorizes the holder to seek and accept offers of employment in New Jersey schools and in other states. The certificate is valid for the lifetime of its holder.
Please refer to our teacher education and certification page for information on other options in teacher education as well as our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
The Office of Graduate Admissions requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the international applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all of corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: July 1st for Fall admission and December 1st for Spring admission for Initial Certification applications
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Elementary School Teacher (Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- A major goal of Montclair State University’s teacher education program is to educate teachers who understand how to prepare their students for democratic citizenship. Democratic citizenship includes the ability to think critically and to play an active role in improving our society. Please review the Portrait of a Teacher. You will note that several of the standards in the Portrait focus on this important goal. For the Statement of Objectives, please write an essay of three to four double-spaced, typed pages and incorporate items 5 and 6 from the Portrait of a Teacher to address the following questions:
- In your life as a citizen, student, and future teacher of this society, what experiences are reflective of this standard? Additionally, what experiences in your life have conflicted with this standard?
- Envision yourself as a teacher. How would you foster a classroom climate that would promote this standard in your discipline?
- You might begin by reflecting on some of your own classroom experiences as a student. Which things would you do differently and which would you emulate in creating such a classroom climate?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Standardized Test Scores: Praxis I, ACT, SAT and GRE can all satisfy the requirement. See minimum scores and more information on the Center of Pedagogy’s website. (see test waiver policies).
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the US degree equivalency information.
For curriculum information, please visit the program listing in the course catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
Office of Graduate Admissions
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Elementary School Teacher (Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification) Program Coordinator:
Program Coordinator: Dr. Danne Davis
Office: University Hall 3163