Marine Biology and Coastal Sciences (Combined BS/MS)
This is a combined five-year BS/MS program where students will be engaged in both class work and research, culminating in the development and completion of the Master’s Thesis. Students completing this program will be well prepared to enter the workforce in research, environmental consulting, education and regulatory agencies (e.g., EPA), as well as in non-profit organizations. Additionally, students will be prepared to undertake further graduate work. Marine Biology and Coastal Sciences represents the wide variety of ecosystems that are linked through water. Study in this field encompasses freshwater lakes and streams, estuaries and coastal marine habitats that are critical for numerous plants and animals, but can be compromised by human activities. Students who pursue this major are interested in understanding the relationships among plants, animals and humans while learning how to protect and restore these necessary ecosystems. The interdisciplinary Marine Biology and Coastal Sciences programs emphasize the four core sciences: biology, geology, chemistry and physics.
Along with the Marine Biology and Coastal Sciences (Combined BS/MS) degree, the department also offers an MS in Marine Biology and Coastal Sciences. Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
Check with your program advisor to see if you are eligible to apply for the accelerated BS/MS in Marine Biology and Coastal Sciences.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Marine Biology and Coastal Sciences (Combined BS/MS) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement: Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions.
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career?
- Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or Duolingo English Test are required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
This is a 32-credit program. For more information, please visit the Marine Biology and Coastal Sciences (Combined BS/MS) program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Marine Biology and Coastal Sciences (Combined BS/MS) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*