Molecular Biology (Certificate)
The Molecular Biology certificate is designed for individuals seeking employment in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries, those currently employed seeking to learn new techniques or update their skills, and for those individuals that want to strengthen their preparation for further postgraduate work. The unique feature of the Molecular Biology certificate program is its focus on laboratory methodologies in molecular biology and applied instruction in modern, well-equipped biology laboratories. Students in this program will gain experience in a variety of essential molecular methodologies including PCR, automated DNA sequence analysis, molecular cloning, gene expression, fermentation technology, site-directed mutagenesis, immunology and cell manipulation techniques.
Along with the Molecular Biology (Certificate), the biology department also offers the following options for graduate study: Biology, Biology (Combined BS/MAT), Molecular Biology, Biology with a concentration in Ecology and Evolution, Biology with a concentration in Physiology, and Biology with a concentration in Pedagogy.
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Molecular Biology (Certificate) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement: Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career?
- Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or Duolingo English Test are required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
All courses for the certificate program will be offered on evenings and/or weekends in the new 60,000 square foot Science Hall which features state-of-the-art biological teaching laboratories. A total of 14-15 semester hours (depending on elective course selection) are required for this program. For more information, please visit the Molecular Biology (Certificate) program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Molecular Biology (Certificate) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*