Nutrition and Exercise Science (Certificate)
The graduate certificate program in Nutrition and Exercise Science provides students the opportunity to gain knowledge in the closely related fields of nutrition and exercise science. The program is designed to develop and enhance competencies necessary for creating applied nutrition and exercise programs for clients interested in wellness and weight management. Both theoretical and practical approaches are emphasized throughout the program. This program does not lead to a master’s degree or certification in the respective fields of Nutrition and Exercise Science. However, students who apply for a master’s degree program after the completion of this certificate may transfer some coursework toward the degree.
Along with the Nutrition and Exercise Science certificate, the department also offers a Nutrition and Food Science (MS) degree. Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
The Office of Graduate Admissions requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Nutrition and Exercise Science (Certificate) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement: Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career?
- Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the US degree equivalency information.
Students are required to take two courses from each of the content areas and one elective, yielding a total of 15-16 semester hours. The certificate issued by Montclair State University signifies completion of the specified coursework. For more information, please visit the Nutrition and Exercise Science (Certificate) program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
Office of Graduate Admissions
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Nutrition and Exercise Science (Certificate) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*