Nutrition and Food Science (Combined BS/MS)
The graduate program in Nutrition and Food Science provides students with in-depth study of nutrition science, nutrition education, food and nutrition issues, food regulations and compliance, and nutrition counseling. It prepares professionals for careers in nutrition and wellness, healthcare, education and research, food and nutrition administration, nutrition policy, food production, food safety and regulations, and food and nutrition management. Special note: This program does not prepare students to become Registered Dietitians. Students who are interested in obtaining the status of Registered Dietitian can learn more about the Didactic Program in Dietetics. Students can complete the MS in Nutrition and Food Science and the Didactic Program in Dietetics simultaneously, with some courses from the master’s program substituting for courses in the Didactic Program. In order to be in the combined program, prospective students must apply to each program separately.
Hear from current students and alumni on their experiences in the Nutrition and Food Science (MS) program at Montclair State:
Along with the Nutrition and Food Science (Combined BS/MS) degree, the department also offers a Nutrition and Exercise Science certificate. Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
Check with your program advisor to see if you are eligible to apply for the BS/MS in Nutrition and Food Science.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all of corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Nutrition and Food Science (Combined BS/MS) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement: Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career?
- Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or Duolingo English Test are required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
This program consists of 32 semester hours. For more information, please visit the Nutrition and Food Science (Combined BS/MS) program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Nutrition and Food Science (Combined BS/MS) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair.*