Supervisor Certification (Post-Masters)
This program of study fulfills the New Jersey Department of Education academic requirements for the standard administrative certificate with a supervisor endorsement.
You must have three years of experience to earn the Supervisor certification from the state of NJ, but you can apply to this program with less experience or with a provisional certificate in anticipation of meeting those NJ certification requirements. If you work in a private school, you can pursue this program without earning a certification from the state.
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
Students interested in applying must have a masters degree plus three years teaching experience under certification. Visit the NJ Department of Education’s requirements page for more information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Supervisor Certification (Post-Masters) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement: Write an essay of no more than three double-spaced pages in response to the prompt below. Your essay can include some description, but it should also demonstrate that you have critically reflected on the profession and your potential place within it. Please write in a concise, formal, professional style. If you make generalizations or assertions, be sure to provide support for them. In one integrated essay, thoughtfully discuss each of the areas identified below:
- Why you are interested in the profession in which you want to pursue graduate work and, if applicable, the particular concentration within that profession.
- Your knowledge of issues and trends in this profession or field.
- What areas and topics you hope to study in depth and why.Any related professional or personal experiences you have had, including opportunities to collaborate with other professionals, and how these experiences make you particularly well-suited for the profession.
- Potential challenges and opportunities associated with diversity you think are relevant to the profession you are pursuing. Be sure to explain what you mean by “diversity” (related, for example, to race, gender, age, sexual orientation, language, disability) and how it may pose challenges or present opportunities.
- Teacher Certification: One.
- Resume: Required.
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the US degree equivalency information.
This is a 12 credit program. For more information, please visit the program listing in the University Catalog.
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Supervisor Certification (Post-Masters) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*