Sustainability Science (BS/MS)
Montclair State University Sustainability programs lead the way in New Jersey in integrating natural and physical science with social science, economics, policy and project management to prepare sustainability professionals and managers to tackle society’s most complex and pressing environmental problems. Our Sustainability Science programs are housed in the Department of Earth and Environmental Studies and take advantage of expertise across campus including the College of Science and Mathematics, College of Humanities and Social Science, School of Business and the PSEG Institute for Sustainability Studies.
Along with the Sustainability Science (BS/MS) Sustainability Science (MS) degree, the department also offers the following options for graduate study: Sustainability Science (MS), Sustainability Science, Sustainability Leadership Concentration (MS), Sustainability Science, Sustainability Leadership Concentration (MS) ONLINE.
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
Check with your program advisor to see if you are eligible to apply for the accelerated BS/MS in Sustainability Science.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all of corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: Rolling Admission.
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Sustainability Science (BS/MS) program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Essays/Personal Statement – Please write one integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions:
- What are your goals for graduate study and your future career?
- In what ways do your academic background and your professional experiences provide evidence of your potential for success in the program you selected and in your eventual career? Please give specific examples of relevant coursework and/or experience.
- Is there any further information we should consider in assessing your candidacy?
- Letters of Recommendation: Two.
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL or IELTS is required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
Complete thirty-two semester hours. Twelve hours will be applied from the UG program. For more information, please visit the program listing in the University Catalog
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Sustainability Science (BS/MS) Program Coordinator:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*