Teacher Leadership Endorsement
This 12-credit program will provide teachers with four or more years of experience an added Teacher Leadership Endorsement to their Teacher Certification.
Specifically, this program is completed in only two semesters (Spring/Summer or Fall/Winter), and the courses are offered on-site in districts, utilizing a hybrid modality. Courses are offered back-to-back, with two courses per semester. Courses can be tailored to district-specific initiatives such as universal design, STEAM, teaching for social justice, and other pressing initiatives. Drs. Monica Taylor and Emily Klein who have designed and will be coordinating and teaching in the program, have over a decade of experience in teacher leadership in New Jersey.
Because this is a new pathway for teachers in New Jersey, the NJ DOE has created a fluid definition for the ways in which Teacher Leaders can function in schools. Teachers will be able to be coaches in schools, mentor new teachers, offer professional development, and lead curricular initiatives and parental engagement. The endorsement is geared toward in-service teachers who are interested in pursuing leadership for personal development and career opportunities such as the ones mentioned above.
Visit the Teacher Education and Certification Programs page to view all of our offerings from the department.
Please refer to our programs of study page for a comprehensive list of all of the graduate programs offered within the university.
Students applying to the program must have 4 years of teaching experience and a NJ Teacher Certification.
- Please note that in order to apply for additional Teacher Leadership Endorsement to their state certification, applicants will need TWO effective or highly effective summative ratings prior to completing the program (That can be obtained during the semester of the program).
- In addition, applicants must display successful completion of a Commissioner Approved state assessment
The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
In order to make applying for graduate school as seamless as possible for you, we have
created an application checklist. This checklist can be a reference point for you during the
application process to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the steps
needed to apply, as well as all corresponding supplemental materials for your specific
program of interest.
- Application Deadline: April 15th for Summer 2021 start
- Submit Online Application: Please create your online account and submit your application by following the general application instructions and pay (or waive) the non-refundable $60 application fee. Once this step has been completed, the online portal will allow you to upload your supplemental materials.
The following is a list of the supplemental materials that will accompany your application for the Teacher Leadership Endorsement program:
- Transcript: One from each college attended.
- Standardized Test Scores: Not required.
- Students holding degrees from non-US institutions must request a course-by-course transcript evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or by Educated Choices. TOEFL or IELTS is required for applicants to any program who earned their degree in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our International Applicants page for more information and for our current TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy.
- Resume: A current resume is required.
- Two letters of recommendation, from persons qualified to evaluate the applicant’s promise of academic achievement and potential for professional growth
- Essays/Personal Statement: Please write an integrated essay providing a response to each of the following questions.
- Please describe your definition of teacher leadership.
- What do teacher leaders know and do?
- Why have you decided to pursue this teacher leadership endorsement?
- Minimum undergraduate GPA: 3.0
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the US degree equivalency information.
Completion of this program includes 12 credits of coursework:
- EDFD/TLRN 686: Examining Teaching and Learning as Teacher Leaders (3 credits)
- EDFD/TLRN 684: Conducting Self-study and Action Research as Teacher Leaders (3 credits)
- EDFD/TLRN 689: Teacher Leadership in Professional Development (3 credits)
- EDFD/TLRN 692: Teacher Leadership for Impact: People, Policy, and Practice (3 credits)
If you have any general questions regarding the application process and requirements, please email or call us:
The Graduate School
If you have specific inquiries regarding your program of interest, please contact the Teacher Leadership Endorsement Program Coordinators:
*During the summer months, there will be a rotating department chair available to answer your inquiry. Find the updated summer chair for this program.*