Flexible, short-term online format provides an accelerated path to develop a highly specialized skill set.
The online certificate in Customer Experience and User Experience Research is designed to build your expertise in understanding the needs of customers and the users of technological devices, products and services. The 13.5-credit, five-course program will build your knowledge in primary data collection, analysis and communication. In just ten months, you will gain the technical skills and software competencies needed to carry out customer surveys, focus groups and usability tests.
With national and local employment projected to grow faster than average for market research analysts and marketing specialists, the CX/UX Research certificate can help you enter or advance in a fast growing field.
Take your next professional development step and apply for Winter 2024. The next course begins December 2023.
You will also have the chance to further your education by applying credits you earn in this program toward the online Master of Arts in Social Research and Analysis and the Certificate in Data Collection and Management.
Total Credits: 13.5
The program is comprised of 5 courses (3 core, 1 elective, 1 capstone)
Students must take all 3 of the following courses:
- SOCI 520 Customer & User Experience Research (3 credits)
- SOCI 538 Survey Research (3 credits)
- SOCI 569 Interviews & Focus Groups (3 credits)
Students must take 1 of the following courses:
- CSIT 535 Human Computer Interaction (3 credits)
- SOCI Special Topics in Experience Management (3 credits)
Students must take the following course:
- SOCI 592 Customer or User Experience Project (1.5 credits)
There is a growing market demand for trained professionals in the area of CX/UX Research.
- Local and National job postings for User Experience and Customer Experience have substantially increased since 2017, and employment is projected to grow faster than average for market research analysts and marketing specialists until at least 2030.
- U.S. employment for Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists are expected to grow more than 21% between 2020 and 2030.
- The national median earnings in 2022 for these job titles is $65,554.89, or $31.52 per hour. In New Jersey, the median is higher at $84,836.68 or $40.79 per hour.
- Some of the top companies posting jobs in this field include Oracle, Verizon, Bristol-Myers Squibb and MarketingCrossing.
Source: Emsi Profile Analytics Report
- The program is open to individuals from a wide variety of academic paths.
It is well-suited for social science majors, such as sociology, psychology and anthropology, because of their interest in people and human behavior. Those with specialized skills in business, computer science, marketing and mathematics will find their undergraduate skills are also compatible with the program.
- Current advanced undergraduate students should contact the Graduate Program Coordinator for eligibility to enroll in the program.
- The Graduate School requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in order to be eligible to apply for a graduate program. Applicants with non-U.S. degrees, please visit the International Applicants page to review the U.S. degree equivalency information.
- Steps to apply
If you have specific questions about the program and would like academic advisement, please contact your Graduate Program Coordinator.
Coordinator: Dr. Christopher Donoghue